Need a better transmission cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kernst52

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Chevy 3/4 ton with the lighter transmission redone by Aamco with heavy duty clutches and overdrive. I am towing a total of about 6000 pounds. Still boiling the tranny fluid coming over the mountain passes. It has a smallish cooler on the front and then routes into the radiator before returning to the tranny.

I need a bigger cooler, hopefully with a fan that is thermostat controlled. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ken

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what im using on my 99 silverado. It runs 30 degrees cooler than with the stock coolerhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Tru-Cool-40-000-GVW-Transmission-Fluid-Oil-Cooler-47391-Max-Low-Pressure-Drop-/171061197808?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d40abbf0&vxp=mtr

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I pull close to the same weight at least once a week. I live in Colorado so towing through the mountains is inevitable.
There is also this option: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?18104-How-to-factory-auxiliary-trans-cooler-upgrade
It's not quite as big as the one ///RAGMC suggested. I'm about to do the upgrade to my truck as soon as the cooler shows up.

Here are a few other things you may want to consider.
You may want to look at your thermal clutch fan. It may not be working properly. Mine wasn't working well so I replaced it with a severe duty thermal clutch fan. It can get very loud but it pulls a lot off air through the radiator at low speeds.
Install a trans temp gauge if you don't already have one. I dig mine.
Check the radiator and A/C condenser for debris packed in the cooling fins. Especially in between the radiator and A/C condenser. You may have to remove the fan shroud/upper radiator mounts to gain access. Use a garden hose to clean out the debris (front and back). You'll be surprised on how much mud/dirt/road grime will get washed out. All of that impedes air flow.

Lastly, I think you may have the trans fluid flow incorrect. It should flow from the trans, to the radiator, to the auxiliary cooler, and then back to the trans.
If it doesn't, then you may want to change it so it does.

Good luck!

kernst52

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, guys. I cleaned out in front and between the radiator, AC condenser, and tranny cooler. I also replaced the fan clutch as I was not sure if it was working properly on our trip. I have the stock 350 motor, which also was in the process of giving up the ghost on this last trip, in a shop being built to increase my pulling capacity. They guys in this particular shop are all race enthusiasts so they say they know how to build a motor and still get it through California's smog tests. They are going to hunt down a better radiator than the stock single core, 1-1/4 inch thick radiator. Also I see that etrailer.com has lots of options to cool down a tranny so I will go with something from them.

Ken