Néed help- brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 Tahoe, replaced brake light switch year ago, brake lights fixed- was just told my lights aren’t working- thoughts? Thanks!!

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check fuses, bulbs and contacts for corrosion as well as any dirty or loose grounds. Also check for correct brake light contact adjustment under dash on brake pedal arm, if none replace switch.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
All of the above and check for janky trailer wiring harness connections. Those crimp and pinch connectors are the worst thing since household wirenuts to happen to automotive wiring.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Check fuses, bulbs and contacts for corrosion as well as any dirty or loose grounds. Also check for correct brake light contact adjustment under dash on brake pedal arm, if none replace switch.
No adjustment on the brake light switch since 1994 re-design, unfortunately.

Richard

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the help- can’t believe it was the switch- I just replaced it less than 2 years ago!? Weird.

I also bought new “boards” and bulbs for the rear lights themselves since I was @ the store.

Like anything else, 1st time replacing switch was a long time- this time? 10 minutes.. lol

Thanks again

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Even the OEM switch is cheap garbage. Take your old one apart and check it out...there's maybe 5 cents worth of materials in there, and 5 cents more maybe of Chinese labor. ;)

If you just bought any old store brand replacement, not surprised it went bad quickly. I can't say that I would expect a "real GM" switch to last much longer though since they have outsourced so many of their parts to China now.

Richard