My hood is stuck!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled the hood release, and the handle stayed back, I can push it back and I can hear the cable at the other end under the hood. The hood itself is in a partially released state, the corners are lifted a little bit and can wiggle up and down a bit, but the centre is firm. I can see between the hood and grille and it looks like the latch is engaged, but the hook is sitting above the latch. I'm at a bit of a loss right now as to what happened and what to do. It's cold and dark out right now and I won't be in town tomorrow, so sunday I'll have to figure something out for sure.

Any suggestions?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Mine sticks every now & then. It will release if I give it a shot with my hand on the edge on either side of where the latch is underneath. Not hard enough to dent the hood, but I have seen hoods with the tell-tale dents of someone hitting them too hard. Lube it all up once you get it open.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've tapped it, hit it and banged it and it's only moving down a few MM like it isn't catching all the way. I'm thinking it's possible I may have left something under the hood when I installed my composite headlights/ grille and it isn't allowing it to close all the way, nor is it letting it open because of upward pressure. The latch was sticking when I bought the truck so I hit it with brake cleaner and re greased it, and have been lubing it regularly, so I don't thing it's a lubrication issue.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
try pushing down on it and try to relase the secondary latch. Thats how I've opened hoods when things get left under them and shut.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No-go. The safety catch isn't engaged because the hood isn't popped high enough for it to catch. I can hold it in the release position as I push down on the hood and nothing happens other than the same bit of play as before.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like the cable is stretched. thats what happened on my burban, I had to go threw the grille and get to the cable so I can now pop my hood from the grille. I have some work to do on it so in no hurry.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the cable is stretched then I should be able to unhook it from the handle and pull it hard with pliers... I'll give it a try before bed

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't work, should have figured it wouldn't because after I pulled it the cable didn't retract, as I said in the first post. When there's more light I'll have to see if I can cram a screwdriver into the mechanism to force it open... Wish I could have figured it out tonight though, but I have a spare hood latch assembly if it's good and broken.

tj stone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the cable still connected to the latch? I've took a long pry bar in the past and got underneath the truck and opened the latch mechanism manually when the cable slips off the latch.