My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is 212/218 hyd roller. Comp 08-501-8
So, we're both 112 LSA, I'm just a little more duration and lift. Maybe I'll try some more SA at idle. If you don't mind, what does the rest of your SA tables look like?

C'mon, the fruit doesn't get any lower than that! Plus it was relevant.
I know, sorry. It just struck me funny.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I softballed that one in on purpose. What if you try commanding a little richer than stoich? You may pick up some vacuum that way too.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if you try commanding a little richer than stoich? You may pick up some vacuum that way too.
I can try that too. After a few "VE Learns" you can see it was changing my idle at ~50 - 55 MAP and 700 - 800 RPM just getting to 14.7 AFR. This is before smoothing out my tables, I have more VE learning to do before smoothing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's what it looks like when doing it. The EBL will only adjust up to 12% at a time before I have to flash and "learn" some more. Once most of the 12% adjustments are gone I'll try smoothing and then watch it again.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can try that too. After a few "VE Learns" you can see it was changing my idle at ~50 - 55 MAP and 700 - 800 RPM just getting to 14.7 AFR. This is before smoothing out my tables, I have more VE learning to do before smoothing.

Here's what it looks like when doing it. The EBL will only adjust up to 12% at a time before I have to flash and "learn" some more. Once most of the 12% adjustments are gone I'll try smoothing and then watch it again.
Are you tuning the VEs with Wideband? I had a wideband with the closed loop turned off and the VE adjustments were really quick.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you tuning the VEs with Wideband? I had a wideband with the closed loop turned off and the VE adjustments were really quick.
Yes, I am tuning with a WBO2, have CL, Hwy Lean, EGR, and PE turned off. Plus BLM Max/Min is set to 128/128 and CC is plugged off. I just have to run it in more cells and give them time to adjust. I may hook up to a trailer so I can tune some of the higher MAP ones.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have another issue - when I had the original peanut cam in it, my oil pressure, when hot, was ~40 @ 2000+RPM and 10 PSI @ idle. When I put in the Lunati flat tappet cam the pressures went up 10 PSI across the board. Now, with the Comp cam, it's back down to, or a little lower, than what the peanut cam was.

I'm thinking about putting in a new oil pump (it's the original 22 year old one from Mr Goodwrench), probably a high volume. Anyone have a suggestion/preference?