My first car, an 89 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone has any advice or pointers to keep this teuck going as long as I can, I'm all ears. This truck, although it isn't fast by any means, is a riot to drive and is easy to work on, and I would like to keep it in the fleet as long as I can.
Go through the owners manual, if you still have it. If not, download the maintenance ones here. Go through it and make sure all the "scheduled maintenance" for your millage is up to date. That would be a great start, and get your familiar with your rig.

Gordy_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, what @Caman96 said. Do all fluids. Get them to a base timeframe. How old are all the ignition components? When you decide to do the coolant change, pressure test first and look at the water pump weep hole for corrosion/leaks and when empty, put a thermostat in it. Check the fan clutch. Belts and hoses. Check the axle boots for leaks/tears. Check the front hub bearings for play. Inspect the entire suspension and steering. I like spending other people's money.
I've already done fluids, hub bearings are good, I checked those when I did the brakes. The water pump is in great shape and the I replaced the thermostat. I flushed the coolant too. The accessory belt is new, the power steering pump leaks a bit, but I'm not too concerned about it. There is no compressor pump as the truck didn't come with AC. The suspension is decent, and the cv axles looked good. I've basically done everything I could think of to get the truck in road-worthy condition after sitting in a field for 8 years. I even went as far as replacing the vacuum lines.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
But, what about the transfer case and differentials fluids? Tune/ignition related components?