My 99 or 2000 (depends on who I ask).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5.7 , 5 speed manual. Passed down from my dad. Plan is to pass it down to my son. He’s 17 now. But has been able to drive it since he was 13.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nice truck!

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the encouraging words. I’m not a great mechanic but I can do the basic stuff. Right now I’m most excited about replacing radiator, water pump, thermostat and belt. Because I can actually let it idle for more than 5 minutes without it getting hot! And in east Texas in august that is a pretty good trick for a 20 year old truck. Lol

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Didn't GM have a strike in a lot of their plants right around the time they were changing over to the 800s? I seem to recall news stories about this. Also, on "King of the Hill, their season opener was about Hank wanting to get a new truck. Chevrolet had an ad before the show started with the new 99 pickup ( this was fall 98, probably September). IIRC it was a white truck, and they had a scene in the show that echoed the ad; same truck but animated. Looked really cool!
The storyline of the episode is that Hank feels like his old faithful truck is worn out, and he wants a new one. I think that they have it that he sees the Chevy ad and that's what the scene I mentioned was, him thinking about the new trucks. Hank's wife Peggy is trying to please him and enters this middle age ladies beauty pageant; the prize is a new Chevy pickup, white like the one in the ad.
Long story a little shorter, she doesn't win, and he ends up getting the old truck repainted....white. It had been red. I want to say when the episode was reaired later in the season, part of the truck scenes were edited out. But this was 20+ years ago so I might not be right about that. If someone has seen this since I have, please post up .....
Also my dad had a good friend then who was on the list for a new 99 C1500 RCSB. He ended up with a 98 (or maybe a 99 Classic if they had it on that style-- I know it was a 400 truck). It was silver, and he color matched the door handles and mirrors, and I think he might have put aftermarket wheels on it too. Only recall seeing it the one time, when he brought it by the house to show it off. He lived on the other side of Houston so we didn't see him much. After my dad passed we found out that this guy was dead as well. Who knows what became of the truck; he didn't keep vehicles forever like we did. But I do remember him talking about the GM strike and that's why he settled on the older model (they probably gave him a sweet deal on it too, this dude was an accountant and very tight).
Sorry to kinda jack your thread with my reminiscences..... but you do have a very nice truck! I love the stories everyone has on their vehicles ( and you can tell I like telling mine LOL). Thanks!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting HotWheelsBurban. I don't recall that episode at all. I was in HS at the time, LOL. I'll have to look it up now!

OP, so did you have any specific questions? Only real issue on this vintage truck would be the "spider" injectors and perhaps fuel pump and distributor cap and rotor. You'll see lots of issues on these items here.

Otherwise, your engine, transmission, brakes and rear axle as as robust as the Jeep Wrangler modern version wish theirs were.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I believe it was a parts plant strike that shut the truck assembly plants and other suppliers down, in 1998. I was working for a supplier at the time and had about 8 weeks of layoff.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy crap dude, a million??? As little as I drive mine, I won’t live near long enough to put that on mine. Lol

Change the lubricants and filters Often & Frequently--ALL the lubricants and filters. You can make stuff last a long time that way.

Trans fluid (important even with the NV4500), diff fluid, transfer case fluid, fuel filter every 15k (keeps the fuel pump and FI spider working) PS fluid, time to do a coolant system flush.