My 96 Chevy Cheyenne. The story begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

comerz

Reaction score
Hello all. My name is Hunter and I just joined this forum. I live in the backwoods of southwest Arkansas. Back when I was younger, I had a 86 chevy blazer, 6 inch lift on 35s. It had a swapped 350 4 bolt main, edelbrock intake, holley carb, msd ignition, the works. Well I ended up having to sell that rig and bought a 94 isuzu rodeo on down the road. I put a 3 inch lift on it and have done a bunch of things to it. But anyways, as you can tell Ive had nothing but lifted rigs all my life. Earlier this month while skimming craigslist I ran across a clean 96 Chevy Cheyenne with a locked up 5.7 for $350. Needless to say I bought it the next day. On Friday I pulled the engine and am now working on getting an engine by the end of this week. Anyways I plan on actually lowering this rig and giving it some power. I hope to lock the rear and make sure it has 3.73s in it. Any comments, suggestions, or tips will be appreciated!:)
You must be registered for see images attach

comerz

Reaction score
Thanks bud.. Question for yall. Im replacing the oil pump, but I couldnt find a seal for it. Is there not a seal for it? Also, how do you replace the rear main seal? Next, I bought crank bearings, do I need to replace those? Im just trying to figure out what all I need to do to make this engine as much like new as can be. Also, how far from the bottom of the oil pan should the pickup screen be? I was told to put lock tite around the insert for the pickup tube into the oil pump.. Any tips are highly appreciated!

comerz

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

sneak peak of the engine incase yall were curious

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
You said the engine was "locked up".......Does that mean seized?........If so, it probably needs a lot more than bearings and an oil pump. Take it apart and find out what locked it up before wasting your money on parts you might not even need.

comerz

Reaction score
You said the engine was "locked up".......Does that mean seized?........If so, it probably needs a lot more than bearings and an oil pump. Take it apart and find out what locked it up before wasting your money on parts you might not even need.

Ok I see how you got confused. Yes the cylinder was locked up in the chamber. But, the engine you see all painted and clean is a engine I pulled from a junkyard. Sorry for the confusion lol. Im not that new at this lmao. This is my first vortec engine to do and ive never done the one piece rear main seal. The blazer I had had a two piece. (the engine I swapped into it came from a 68 Chevy R.V.)

comerz

Reaction score
Sorry I havent been on in over a month. I knew the deal was to good to be true. Got the engine in the truck (it is beautiful btw!!) and took it out onto the streets, and wouldnt shift into 3-4... F'n 4l60s... So as of now shes sitting in the tranny shop. However I took the opportunity and told him to go ahead and upgrade to corvette servos and upgraded clutches. Hes also putting better solenoids in along with a shift kit. Should be a pretty bad ass rig!!

comerz

Reaction score
Finally shes running! buttttt..... Oil leak out of the timing cover, fml. Guess that 70 lbs of oil pressure is finding every hole it can. But I have to brag a little, the thing is a beast, I squealed tires going from 35 mph straight to 60. It dropped into second so hard it broke loose. So the money put into the tranny was worth it. Will be posting pictures here in the next few weeks

comerz

Reaction score
Finally fixed! That was a pain in the ass. But runs like a scolded dog. Just gotta get it tagged and shes my daily!