My 85 6.2L Diesel first run in 3+ years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
Ok, so I got this 1985 K20 suburban from our land lady after doing some brush hogging for her. It'd been sitting for 5 1/2 yearsand hasn't ran n 3 after the previous owner asked to store it on the property and then dropped all contact 3 years ago when the country came down on the property owner and the sub owner was asked to come get it. It was destined for the scrap yard when I mentioned i was looking for a cheap old 4x4 to beat around in. She said they had an old suburban on the property and it ran when it was parked, all it needed was a battery and a brake line. So I fired up the old Allis Chalmers WD45 and drove up to the house with a chain.We used the tractor to drag it up by the barn and put an old battery in it and on the battery booster. Set the booster to 120 amp start and wen inside for supper. When we came back out we pulled the fuel filter, drained it, washed it out in the parts cleaner, gave her some fresh fuel and coolant. Turned the key, all guages worked, the glow lug light came on and stayed on for a little more than 3 minutes. Soon as it shut off a light shot of either and that old 6.2 roared to life after only a few turns. That is the smoothest running Detriot I've ever seen or heard. No "typical worn out diesel knock", no warbling, just a smooth diesel idle. First thing I noticed was a slow to respond and badly slipping tranny, I saw another tranny in the back of the burban and figured this one was to be replaced with it, after all it looked rebuilt. So, I immediately checked the fluid level. bone dry. 2 quarts of ATF and she shifts like new. guess now I have a spare tranny if i ever need it. Second thing i noticed was lack of brakes. I put some dye in the master cylinder and found that the drivers front brake line had a pin hole in it. temporarly patched it with JB weld and played with the brakes a few more times, that was the only leak. replacing the line this week some time. The brakes themselves were replaced shortly before it was parked. Next step is a complete fluid flush and fresh fluids and filters all around. then front drivers side Ujoint is all but gone. Then it's mostly cosmetic work. Holes to fill, doors replaced, custom rockers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89XCPGzK00