My 1998 sierra z71 build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Wow its been a minute since I have been on here lol. I guess I might as well update my build log.

So I started my SM465 swap (3 speed manual with granny low gear) and in order for my NP241C to work I had to swap the input shaft to a 32 spline unit.

You must be registered for see images attach

I got the Transfer case done and moved on to the transmission swap. I took the old 4l60e out and cut the hole in the floor (88-98 have the floor stamped for a nv3500/4500 and sm465) I also put my flywheel and clutch in.

getting the trans up there:

I got the swap all done everything worked great. I ran a stock 1990 k5 blazer driveshaft. All ready for a hard 4 day weekend of wheeling in Dresser WI.

first day of wheeling it did great no issues.

Some good flexing:

Saw the BSF Recovery guys out there

Overall the truck did great out there. I wish had more pictures but it was a good run. I decided to ditch the tow mirrors after the first day because the tight trails didnt really agree with them haha.

After driving it around a bit I ruined the cam. (a lifter got turned in the retainer and ate up the cam and lifter) So now I am going to put a different cam in, get a carb intake, holley 650, and run a fuel cell on the bed.