multifunction lever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good morning yall,

On my 1994 chevy silverado the turn signal lever (multifunction lever) wont lock in the up position but it locks in the down position. This just started today. What could be going on w it?

all signals, wipers cruise controls ect work. You just have to hold the lever up to use the right turn indicator (which is annoying)

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 1994 chevy silverado the turn signal lever (multifunction lever) wont lock in the up position but it locks in the down position. This just started today. What could be going on w it?
It's the "turn signal switch". One of the cams probably broke off. They may be plastic or metal (as in this Picture).

You must be registered for see images attach

Oops. I was pointing to the springs not the cams themselves but you get the idea. @Leeztruk beat me to it, ha ha.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Also, you'll need a couple of special tools to remove the steering wheel and lock plate. The switch and springs are easy to come by. You should also replace the horn slip ring/turn signal cancel cam while you're at it, as the horn ground wire retainer is most likely broken from your pulling off the horn pad. There are plenty of you-tube videos to watch about changing these things, so you can see if you want to tackle the job yourself or not

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't needed to deal with this for decades. And I never did this on a GMT400.

However

Thousands of years ago, when the turn signal lever wouldn't lock in one or both directions, a person bought a "Turn Signal Cancel Cam", which repaired the turn signal switch.

Y' didn't have to buy the entire switch, just a $10 cancel cam.

Might be worth looking in the service manual to see if that sort of thing still applies, or if it's now a Turn Signal Module that costs $500 and ten hours labor to install it.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the whole acdelco assembly. Iv watched a few videos. Im pretty mechanically inclined. The job seems pretty straightforward.

Seems even easier if the new plug is depined instead of trying to disassemble the entire colum and wrestling the plugs through.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM ran this switch for a loooong time. My 78 ElCamino has the same switch in it. I think they started using this switch when they went to the headlight dimmer on the column.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After tearing into the streering column i discovered the issue. When i got the truck it had some janky ebay after market steering wheel.

I guess when who ever put the wheel on damaged the lock plate cover and it was interfering with the blinker movement.

I heated the cover up where it was bent and bent it back the best I could. The top screw still doesnt line up with the hole but it works. I dont like it but its the best i could bend it. (Does anyone know where i can find a new one? I did a search and found GM has discontinued it. In case someone knows where to get one, mine is a 94 silverado with a tilt column. )

I was this far into it so i went ahead and put the new switch in even though the old one worked after bending the plate cover back.

Depinning the old plug and new plug made the job alot easier than the videos I watched. Just depin the old plug and use the old wires to run the new wires and you are done.