Muffler Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Im looking at getting new mufflers and was wondering if the inlet/outlet size had any effect on loudness. my current muffler is 3"in/2.5" out and was wondering if i should buy a muffler that has a 3in diameter or 2.5?

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
If you go from big to small it will quiet it down.

Sent from Robl@nd

the only reason im gonna stick with the 2.5" tailpipe is because all the pipe after the y pipe is brand new so i wanna keep it. so would pipe diameter on the muffler itself make a difference?

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
So your intermediate pipe is 3"?

Sent from Robl@nd
Yeah, when my dad had the exhaust redone he wanted it to be "stock so it would pass emissions" so we had them fab up a stockish exhaust with a new cat and a quiet muffler

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Well, I would get the one like mine which is 3" in/out, then put a reducer to the tail pipe. This way if you ever want to change it, it will already be there. Trust me though, 2 1/2" is going to quiet it down quite a bit.

Sent from Robl@nd

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Well, I would get the one like mine which is 3" in/out, then put a reducer to the tail pipe. This way if you ever want to change it, it will already be there. Trust me though, 2 1/2" is going to quiet it down quite a bit.

Sent from Robl@nd

okay, im not looking to blow anyones ear drums. i just want it so i can here it when i get on it and drive. i was thinking that i would put it after the muffler but wanted to get other opinions. thanks