Msd box wiring diagram for tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, im going to try the msd 5 series box i have laying around. See if it picks up gas mileage.

Cant figure out which diagram to use for the tbi trucks.
Anyone know real quick?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO!

DO NOT USE AN MSD-5.

You WILL destroy the box. I know this because 1) MSD specifically says not to use a "5" with HEI; and 2) I tried it anyway. Lasted less than a week. Burnt-up the box.

You must be registered for see images attach

I patched it up, it ran on the test stand for hours. It's now part of my little red-box stonehenge on a shelf in the shop.

What you need is an MSD 6 (any version, I guess) and a specific harness adapter. Plug 'n' play--disconnect plastic connector(s) from the coil, plug that into the adapter harness. Plug the harness into the MSD, and use the harness connector to re-connect with the coil. Power and ground for the MSD as usual. Done.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8876
I got mine from eBay a thousand years ago, for way less money. No promises on what's available there now.

I then used an MSD 6T with that harness for several years. Eventually the 6T died; took me ten minutes in a parking lot to disconnect the adapter harness and return to non-MSD ignition. Years later, I haven't bothered to re-connect an MSD box...although I probably should since I have a pile of them, (a few of 'em even work) and the adapter harness.

Never noticed a difference in how the truck ran with or without the MSD.

Last edited: