Mouse Nest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Illsley1983

Reaction score
This is kind of a strange question but I had mice living in my truck last fall and I think they built a nest inside my heating/cooling vents somewhere. When I turn the fan on, seeds/debris, nest material comes blowing out. Anyone else have this happen to them. DId you end up having to take most of the dash apart to clean this out? I would appreciate any tips or hints, thanks.

P.S. - I got the ******** with a mousetrap!

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have an air compressor... shut all the main dash vents and cover the top defrost. That'll leave just the floor vents open.. feed the compressed air through one of the main vents. You may have to cycle the vent positions via the heater control a couple times but that should let, force it, to be blown outta the floor vents vents... just an idea, never tried it though so may or may not work great but an idea non the less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Mouse droppings can cause serious health probs.
When I tear apart an interior in a vehicle, I wear what I can to home-replicate a Haz-Mat suit. Gloves, goggles, breather, long sleeves.
The article says to use a dust mask. Ahhh..nope. Not for me. I use a proper air-filtering type mask with new filters right out of the package.
Brand new ones, because the filter's efficiency starts to deteriorate when exposed to ambient air in about 12 hours after being removed from the package.

http://www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/health-topics/hantavirus.php

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
^ this. I had this happen. Took apart the entire dash. I have read other articles advising not to sweep or vacuum. But spray down with bleach and wipe away.

My vent were very clogged. About 2-3 pounds of mouse nest. I have become a very big fan of cats since this occurred. Almost any strong smelling extract oil (cinnamon, peppermint) will keep them out, unless they have already made it a home.

Illsley1983

Reaction score
If you have an air compressor... shut all the main dash vents and cover the top defrost. That'll leave just the floor vents open.. feed the compressed air through one of the main vents. You may have to cycle the vent positions via the heater control a couple times but that should let, force it, to be blown outta the floor vents vents... just an idea, never tried it though so may or may not work great but an idea non the less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think I'll try this. HAven't found any droppings, just nest material, seeds, etc.

Once I killed them they were never back.

AS a side note, I removed my transmission yesterday and there was seeds in the damn bellhousing!

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'll try this. HAven't found any droppings, just nest material, seeds, etc.

Once I killed them they were never back.

AS a side note, I removed my transmission yesterday and there was seeds in the damn bellhousing!
Yikes, you had to put this thought in my head. I have worried about the same thing as I don't drive my truck much at all. It is stored in a building close to a woods line. Wife has a couple of cats but they are more sorry and lazy than me. I keep expecting to go out and find this problem. Sometimes Blue don't get drove for weeks at a time and to say 50-75 miles a month might be stretching the truth.
Went out one evening and seen one running down the fence line on top the fence and that put the thought in my mind as well.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
When i took a break from buildin my car mice built nests in my center console and both mufflers. I dug out the console with gloves and the day i got to fire it up the nests blew out the tailpipes and smacked the wall haha good thing is Herman Munster likes to hunt em n bring em to the door so i dont worry much. He also guards my beer.

You must be registered for see images attach

_slxck

Reaction score
For future reference if you ever have to leave a vehicle sit for an extended period and are worried about mice, load the interior with dryer sheets. I don't know what it is exactly but mice don't like dryer sheets.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
As a preventative measure, I put these packs in every vehicle I have... one in the cab under a seat, one in the trunk and sometimes jammed somewhere under the hood in a cool area if I see signs of mice under there.

Mice are terrible around here in the spring and fall (Im surrounded by farmland). Almost every packet gets a nibble but that nibble stops them before they can reproduce and do damage.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media