Mods for a Vortec with pre-96 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the engine run on the stock tbi setup overall? Is it a good upgrade or does it run crappy hence you wanting to mod it?

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
@TriGuy I have just about everything you can do to a TBI and still keep the OEM computer. My truck was tuned by Fastchip, and I have a very even power torque split. I know my cam is about all the cam you can do with the OEM computer. I have the factory 31's and 3.73's and it is fun to burn those, but I also have a 5 speed, so I have a bit more control of the shifting.

If I was to do mine again, I would want more cam and a better fuel (delivery, injection etc), better spark control (HEI preferably) as opposed to the OEM version.

TriGuy

Reaction score
How does the engine run on the stock tbi setup overall? Is it a good upgrade or does it run crappy hence you wanting to mod it?
Runs wonderfully. I got the truck like this and never drove it with the stock engine so I can't compare it to that, but yeah it runs great how it is. I'm just power hungry, and truthfully may not end up using this truck as my go-fast truck, but would like to know my options.

@TriGuy I have just about everything you can do to a TBI and still keep the OEM computer. My truck was tuned by Fastchip, and I have a very even power torque split. I know my cam is about all the cam you can do with the OEM computer. I have the factory 31's and 3.73's and it is fun to burn those, but I also have a 5 speed, so I have a bit more control of the shifting.

If I was to do mine again, I would want more cam and a better fuel (delivery, injection etc), better spark control (HEI preferably) as opposed to the OEM version.
Good information, thanks.