Mods for a Vortec with pre-96 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TriGuy

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm interested in building my truck to be a bit quicker than it is. It's a 92 K1500 lifted 4" on 33s. Still want it to have the right power band and all for towing.
Most importantly, it's got a 96+ Vortec 350 crate motor, but it still uses the pre-96 TBI setup, made possible by a stupidly expensive Chevrolet Performance intake manifold. I'd like to keep it that way.
So basically, new intake is out of the question, and most computer tuning because I'm still OBD 1 with the full TBI setup. I suppose that leaves cams, maybe heads, and what else?
My goals: tire shredding torque monster is just about number 1 priority :burnout:, 300 or more rwhp or whatever gets me from 0 to 60 in about 7-8? seconds. I'd love to see my truck be able to give my P71 a run for its money. Maybe it'll be cheap enough to go even quicker, maybe not.
Part numbers are very appreciated, but any suggestion is great. And maybe I just need to be directed to another thread or some other article of general information. Thanks all!

p.s. I'm not opposed to an intake manifold change if it's for a carb setup. Just absolutely won't go through the work of swapping over to 96+ injection with all the accompanying computer stuff.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm interested in building my truck to be a bit quicker than it is. It's a 92 K1500 lifted 4" on 33s. Still want it to have the right power band and all for towing.
Most importantly, it's got a 96+ Vortec 350 crate motor, but it still uses the pre-96 TBI setup, made possible by a stupidly expensive Chevrolet Performance intake manifold. I'd like to keep it that way.
So basically, new intake is out of the question, and most computer tuning because I'm still OBD 1 with the full TBI setup. I suppose that leaves cams, maybe heads, and what else?
My goals: tire shredding torque monster is just about number 1 priority :burnout:, 300 or more rwhp or whatever gets me from 0 to 60 in about 7-8? seconds. I'd love to see my truck be able to give my P71 a run for its money. Maybe it'll be cheap enough to go even quicker, maybe not.
Part numbers are very appreciated, but any suggestion is great. And maybe I just need to be directed to another thread or some other article of general information. Thanks all!

p.s. I'm not opposed to an intake manifold change if it's for a carb setup. Just absolutely won't go through the work of swapping over to 96+ injection with all the accompanying computer stuff.
Your screwed. You can bump the timing to 4 degrees and the fuel pressure to crutch a stock vortec but a modified one will never run decent without tuning.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I would personally go with a stand alone fuel injection setup.

-4150 carb manifold, single or dual plane of your choice $100
-Stand alone fuel injection setup Fi-Tech is around $800-$1000 w/o ignition control
-GM HEI distributor $100 or less.
-High pressure replacement fuel pump $50-$100

That setup will handle any mods you do now and in the future and is completely self-learning.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 92 Big block 454 ss had 250hp and 405 tq so would that computer/Tbi and injectors work decent?

TriGuy

Reaction score
I would personally go with a stand alone fuel injection setup.

-4150 carb manifold, single or dual plane of your choice $100
-Stand alone fuel injection setup Fi-Tech is around $800-$1000 w/o ignition control
-GM HEI distributor $100 or less.
-High pressure replacement fuel pump $50-$100

That setup will handle any mods you do now and in the future and is completely self-learning.
I like this idea and something of that nature completely skipped my mind. Definitely some uncharted waters for me but it's pretty simple and like you said, self-learning. Thanks.

Last edited:

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't need any stand alone system at all. Go to gearheadefi.com and start reading everything. Tuning yourself is a learning process,but the factory pcms especially 93-95 models are great computers. I can pretty much tune any combo with them.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like this idea and something of that nature completely skipped my mind. Definitely some uncharted waters for me but it's pretty simple and like you said, self-learning. Thanks.
Or you can go with an EBLflash programmable computer uses the stock computer and gives you opportunity to tune like most modern computers. That will be the route I take for my setup.

TriGuy

Reaction score
Or you can go with an EBLflash programmable computer uses the stock computer and gives you opportunity to tune like most modern computers. That will be the route I take for my setup.
I actually looked into this in the past. Definitely seems like a cheap route to take compared to stand alone EFI.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
33's aren't going to move worth a s### without the right gears (unless you've already done this). That is where I would start. You're never going to get results out of any motor/setup unless you're geared right .

TriGuy

Reaction score
33's aren't going to move worth a s### without the right gears (unless you've already done this). That is where I would start. You're never going to get results out of any motor/setup unless you're geared right .
Got it covered :waytogo: