Missing stud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97zSC

Reaction score
1997 5.7L Vortec. Long story short, my heads are in the shop with a stud in the passenger side head, everything else I stripped off before taking them. I got my rebuilt heads today so would it still be possible to put it all back together and run it without that stud or do I have to wait until monday to get them from the shop?

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like stud for the alt bracket, but IDK. Once you out it together, you'll figure it out.

97zSC

Reaction score
Sounds like stud for the alt bracket, but IDK. Once you out it together, you'll figure it out.
I believe that's what it is but will I be okay just putting everything together and running it until I can get the stud back Monday? I didn't know if it blocked off any water jackets or anything

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is missing off the front you can be sure something attached there and you won't get the tension nerd to keep the belt on track. Go to parts house and get one, take head with you so can get the right size if necessary.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe that's what it is but will I be okay just putting everything together and running it until I can get the stud back Monday? I didn't know if it blocked off any water jackets or anything
It should not go into a water jacket, but to be sure, just fill up your cooling system with water until your sure all is good.