Misfire + p0300 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I have a 98 350 vortec. Noticed something odd today when pulling away from a stop sign. Had half the torque I usually have. Kept on driving and saw a flashing check engine light. Pulled over and it sounds like one of my cylinders on my driver's side isn't firing and then it miss and pop out the exhaust side every once and awhile. Doesn't miss under load but at idle it will. Pulled the code and it's p0300 (multiple cylinder/random misfire). Pulled the plug wires and am getting a good spark from all 4 on that side. A bad plug shouldn't cause misses resulting in pops correct? I have a new distributor in it with only about 7k miles on it (chewed the gear off the old one). What should I check for? Thanks in advance.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like now that I've dealt with my burb and that same code everyone is getting it.
Well it could be multiple things, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, distributor - some new ones are crap, could even be bad connections, or problem with the fuel system, clogged filter, injectors - everyone told me this one and I'll be swapping mine sometime. What I did was check all the plugs and wires, had some bad plugs so I replaced those and figured the wires to, it helpsed a little so I did cap and rotor and haven't had the code agian but it does still feel like it's low on the power so I've checked the fuel pressure and thats good but as far as I kno the only way to check the injectors is to take em out. This code is one that I hate the most because there's so many different thing that it can be, hope u can get it fixed

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im having this exact same issue, did you end up resolving this?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check all the common ignition stuff first. Replace with AcDelco parts only. If the problem still persist then Id look into the spider injection being the culprit. I replaced mine in my 98 a couple years ago just because there was a new updated version on the market and my truck ran so much better.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Something as small as a distributor cap could be the issue. Mine did the same thing, under a load did fine, but missed when not, and my plugs were fine also. Changed my distributor cap and it was fine.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am currently dealing with this in my 98. After I pulled the code I bought a BAFX bluetooth reader and it showed me misifire on cyl #5. I suggest getting one of those dongles or if you can find someone who will let you hook up to a decent scanner to see if it will narrow it down to a cylinder(s). I still haven't tested this on mine to make sure its not a wire, switching 2 wires to see if it follows it. I have replaced the cap and rotor and the misifire still continues but not near as bad as before.