Matte Finish Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiGiTaL D

Reaction score
Got a call today from the paint shop that my truck is done. I'm gonna go look at it here in a couple hours. Last year I replaced the rockers and cab corners on both sides and with years of normal wear and tear it really needed new paint overall. I stayed with the factory color (Catalina blue metallic) but opted for a matte clear instead of the original gloss.

Having never had a matte finish vehicle before, I'm wondering what the best products are for taking care of it (washing and sealing). I've read not to use anything with silicone, wax, and fillers to maintain the look of the matte finish. For those of you that have matte finish trucks, what do you use?

I see Dr. Beasley's has a matte clear finish sealer. It seems to have good reviews (on their website) but its a little salty on the price.

Thanks all.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't use anything. You'll regret it. Had a matte black Harley and the best thing is soap and water. And that's it. HD recommended Windex to dust as needed. That worked too. Probably wouldn't dust a truck unless it's a show truck though

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Don't use anything. You'll regret it. Had a matte black Harley and the best thing is soap and water. And that's it. HD recommended Windex to dust as needed. That worked too. Probably wouldn't dust a truck unless it's a show truck though

that Harley "denim" **** scratches if you LOOK at it too hard......that's how they sell their denim paint "super duper factory authorized and sanctioned, trade marked and special duper" spray cleaner........

i'd ask the paint company that makes that matt clear what THEY recommend.......i can't imagine it's as horrible as Harley's clear.

yea, i work in service at a stealership.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
oh yea....i tell my customers to use this on their denim....they also make a great matte cleaner, but it's expensive
https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Perfo...sr=1-2&keywords=liquid+performance+cycle+wash

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner is a great spray on for heavy ****...or just easy clean....spray on to saturate, not in full sunlight, let sit a bit(never let dry) then rinse immediately with a lot of water.........THE best spray cleaner you can get...came to USA in 1985.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...B2Ft-ok46FHxIvQErgyL94OdZ3xjVBUFosaAuvz8P8HAQ

basically Simple Green.....never wrecked my BBQ black paint job...going on over 10 yeaars now

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that Harley "denim" **** scratches if you LOOK at it too hard......that's how they sell their denim paint "super duper factory authorized and sanctioned, trade marked and special duper" spray cleaner........

i'd ask the paint company that makes that matt clear what THEY recommend.......i can't imagine it's as horrible as Harley's clear.

yea, i work in service at a stealership.
Ya, never bought their what I assumed was garbage cleaner for 20$. Bought the bike from someone who had waxed it, and it looked terrible. Had to clay bar it to get it off.

DiGiTaL D

Reaction score
I asked my painter about it. He claimed there is no special maintenance needed. He told me its an additive they put in standard gloss clear to make it matte. Somehow I just can't see waxing this surface. It just doesn't seem like it would work out real well. I'll probably just wash it and that's it. Its the original factory color just with a matte clear. I also put a custom chip guard coating under the paint down both sides. I just got the cab badging and the bumpers put back on yesterday. Still lots more reassembly to do. Here's some quick pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I asked my painter about it. He claimed there is no special maintenance needed. He told me its an additive they put in standard gloss clear to make it matte. Somehow I just can't see waxing this surface. It just doesn't seem like it would work out real well. I'll probably just wash it and that's it. Its the original factory color just with a matte clear. I also put a custom chip guard coating under the paint down both sides. I just got the cab badging and the bumpers put back on yesterday. Still lots more reassembly to do. Here's some quick pics.

looks great.....when i was going to fix my old '90 K/5, my paint of choice was gonna be a single stage job from:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Custom-Paint/Hot-Rod-Flatz/

Luis Jimenez

Reaction score
You can also try PlastiDip or their new product line called ProLine feels and looks like vinyl, here is mine PlastiDipped last year, best thing you can always go back to stock color with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiGiTaL D

Reaction score
Here's a few more pics of it basically done. I added fender flares and went with a black grille and black wheels. About the only other thing I want to do is the cab roof lights when I get around to it.