Massey Ferguson MF-35 ignition coil diagnostics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
So, I've got my FIL's MF-35 al my place for tending the stone in our driveway after storms and the gravel road I live on. The other week, ignition coil on it presumably went out not long after i changed the plugs and set the gap to spec. Swapped in the coil he preemptively changed years ago and held on to. Yesterday evening as i was using it to load a box scraper to haul over to their place, it died again. Same symptoms as before.

Any of you have advice on troubleshooting ignition issues on points and coil systems? I can set gaps and swap parts but not much experience with them as they do predate me.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here , I read " yesterdaystractors " forum , I grew up working on oooolllddd equipment. Here is a page capture. Also check all connections, ring terminals etc. What you think might be bad part, just removing a terminal, insert new part, works? But reality is moving the dirty ring terminal fixed it. Try this.
You must be registered for see images attach

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks GoToGuy. I'll do some troubleshooting with it this evening or in the morning depending upon what the wife and kids have me do tonight.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I've got my FIL's MF-35 al my place for tending the stone in our driveway after storms and the gravel road I live on. The other week, ignition coil on it presumably went out not long after i changed the plugs and set the gap to spec. Swapped in the coil he preemptively changed years ago and held on to. Yesterday evening as i was using it to load a box scraper to haul over to their place, it died again. Same symptoms as before.

Any of you have advice on troubleshooting ignition issues on points and coil systems? I can set gaps and swap parts but not much experience with them as they do predate me.
A couple notes; A weak condenser can show these symptoms, but sometimes the obvious gets missed. If the point cam is a bit rusty, and you open the gap on the points the rust can pretty quickly wear the strip off the points and close them up again. Have a look, I use a bit of silicone grease for lube after polishing up the point cam.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
A couple notes; A weak condenser can show these symptoms, but sometimes the obvious gets missed. If the point cam is a bit rusty, and you open the gap on the points the rust can pretty quickly wear the strip off the points and close them up again. Have a look, I use a bit of silicone grease for lube after polishing up the point cam.
Thanks for the tips, and reminders. I swapped out the condenser before the coil the other week with no change. As for points, didn't touch them at all. Didn't even check the gap beyond a visual that they were clean and appeared close to spec.

Storming here this evening now so we are having movie night with the kids and this is back burnered. I'll start with cleaning all contacts (except points) again with a small wire brush in a dremel and then start chasing a spark.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Clean the points with a nice fresh $100 bill. I suppose a $50 or $20 would also work but the higher the value the better it'll work. Never use a $1, those little ******** will get insulted and make things worse.

Edit... b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Clean the points with a nice fresh $100 bill. I suppose a $50 or $20 would also work but the higher the value the better it'll work. Never use a $1, those little ******** will get insulted and make things worse.

Edit... b-a-s-t-a-r-d-s
I haven't held a C note in a long time. Well, since i bought the suburban. I've got a bunch of small files that should do the trick for cleaning the points. And a shot of contact cleaner.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the points, if they show signs of being welded together from someone leaving the ignition on, they're pretty much toast. You can file them down temporarily but, you can't replace the silver coating on them. When you replace them, get a condenser too. Make sure the ignition coil, points and condenser are all for that engine. We used to use a Ford coil on a Chevy small block because the Ford was higher Voltage but, we had to use a ford condenser or the points would burn up.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Look at the points, if they show signs of being welded together from someone leaving the ignition on, they're pretty much toast. You can file them down temporarily but, you can't replace the silver coating on them. When you replace them, get a condenser too. Make sure the ignition coil, points and condenser are all for that engine. We used to use a Ford coil on a Chevy small block because the Ford was higher Voltage but, we had to use a ford condenser or the points would burn up.
I've no idea what parts are on it now as they've been stored in a basement over a decade since being removed. I've got a list of parts for this one and my own tractor that i need to order that now includes points, condenser, and coil.