Manual to Auto and Torq Converter Lockup questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
So I just picked up this 93 Stepside that had a 700R4 swapped in place of the former 5 speed manual. The guy I bought the truck from said that was how it came when he bought it so he couldn't tell me much. They left the original column and put a B&M on the floor. Thing is I'm almost positive the torque converter lockup has not been resolved. I am going to assume that the factory ECM is still the original. I also happen to have a couple ECM's from former plow trucks (88 and 90). Both had 700R4's I believe. Should I be able to get away with using one of the ECM's from the 88 or 90 and then just run the torque converter control wire from the ECM to the tranny? Is the wire already in there and dead-ended somewhere? I know there are aftermarket kits to control lockup, but if my ecm already has the ability, it only makes sense to just hook it up. Thoughts?

Last edited:

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
If its TC is not locking up im sure thats something wrong with the trans or the TC itself. 700's are manual 4l60's

Green95Hoe

Rollin in tha big hoe
Reaction score
Im not even sure what year this particular tranny came out of. I know its not an 'E' as there is no mega wire harness on the side. The only thing I can see is an abandoned plug on the drivers side with 2 wires just hanging. My first assumption was that this was for the TC.

nickwhite

Reaction score
first second third are all mechanically shifted and overdrive is electronic thats what your plug is for, it runs to your computer and the kickdown cable goes to the throttle body. id say the stock ecm would work fine

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are right... The plug on the side of all 700R4's are only for the lockup. It will shift all the gears and overdrive without it. There are several different wiring kits and hydrological kits to hook the converter up. Not sure about your plan with the factory ecm hooking up just that wire. It would be worth a try though.

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are right... The plug on the side of all 700R4's are only for the lockup. It will shift all the gears and overdrive without it. There are several different wiring kits and hydrological kits to hook the converter up. Not sure about your plan with the factory ecm hooking up just that wire. It would be worth a try though.

There it is.. Without it, you wont have overdrive.