700r4 No Lockup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been studying the .bin in the 16197427 that I bought to upgrade ol Smoky using the tunerpro rt software and the term hysteresis kept coming up. Now I know what it means and how to put it to use.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably no hysteresis. I have one of these on the shelf to add to WCJr so I can ditch the factory computer. I just haven't wired it in and tried it yet.

My TCC lockup worked fine without TPS signal, but with the factory computer.

73L48

Reaction score
Is your ECM plugged in and receiving power and hooked up to the external transmission wiring harness for the TCC?

You should see RPMs drop by 200-300 or so shortly after your 3-4 upshift. If you're not seeing or feeling that happening then yes, you're not going into lock up. You DO NOT want to keep driving it like that as these (and the 200-4Rs) must have lock up functioning if you have not already converted to a non-lock up package! Otherwise, you'll over heat the transmission and burn your 3-4 clutch pack in relatively short order.

The ECM should be initiating lock up once it detects apply pressure via the pressure switch on the valve body by energizing the TCC lock up solenoid bolted to the case that mounts into the entryway of TCC control valve's bore in the pump. Make sure you have power to that case connector via your external wiring harness and that there's no shorts anywhere in the electrical circuit for the TCC...If power is there, then drop the pan and replace the wiring harness in the trans w/a Rostra brand harness (OEM obviously has long since been out of production).

If you have electrical problems on the vehicle that are preventing you from achieving lock up (or the ECM is shot) then buy a Transgo or Superior Tech TCC mechanical lock up kit and install it into 1982-1986 valve body in the TCC control bore (remove the two aluminum slugs that will be in there from the factory). Then bolt that valve body into place of the existing one and you'll have mechanical TCC lock up without the need for any electrical contribution. Let me know if you need assistance w/this process and I'll shoot you a couple of my Youtube videos on the subject.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I have not looked into whether the exam has power nor followed the wiring to the plug at the transmission. I think I need to start there - thank you again

73L48

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed reply. I have not looked into whether the exam has power nor followed the wiring to the plug at the transmission. I think I need to start there - thank you again
Ecm