Manual shiftting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a friend who insists on manual shifting his 97 chevy. Its kind of annoying but at the same time the truck sounds a lot better at the higher rpms. Is it bad to manual shift an automatic as long as you don't let the rpms get to high? The trans is a 4l60e.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:crazy:Ive only seen people do that at the track, otherwise, I dont get it, my 4L60E holds to redline so I dont get the point of manually shifting it.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:crazy:Ive only seen people do that at the track, otherwise, I dont get it, my 4L60E holds to redline so I dont get the point of manually shifting it.

Thats what i'm saying. I mean it pulls harder and accelerates quicker but idk if its bad for it to shift at a higher rpm?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would agree, and bet it'd wear it out.

The guy just wants to do it to make it look or sound cool, like he has a stick shift, IMO buy a stick shift or get the manual valve body and put in it. We used to do it in the monte carlo, but I had a stage 2 shift kit and it let you hold the gear longer and bark tires harder, only reason we did it.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL that video sounds horrible lol. man it really takes awhiel and slips into gear, I'd be thinking one day it just aint gonna change, and just BAM stay slippin'.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
It does sound better but I always thought it couldnt be good.