Making an external slave work with a Ls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam Strasser

Reaction score
Over the past few months I’ve been swapping an lq9 into my 95. Finally got to where I thought I was really close just to bolt up the trans and have the slave cylinder interfere with the oil pan. So now I’m at a crossroads, either swap in a 96+ nv3500, convert mine to internal, or go to a t56. What I want to know is if anyone has converted from external to internal. If so can I keep the original bell housing or do I have to swap it over to the internal slave housing. Also, has anyone made the external slave work with a different oil pan? I’ve got the truck pan on it now but not opposed going to a f-body or aftermarket pan.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a youtube video of someone using an S10 NV3500 with the external slave and modified LS oil pan. They ended up having to lengthen the push rod on the slave too because it was engaging too low. Sorry I can't help more. I believe it was Busted Knuckle Films was the channel.

Adam Strasser

Reaction score
I saw a youtube video of someone using an S10 NV3500 with the external slave and modified LS oil pan. They ended up having to lengthen the push rod on the slave too because it was engaging too low. Sorry I can't help more. I believe it was Busted Knuckle Films was the channel.
Checked it out and they were successful. Only issue is that I can barely weld steel and do not have a tig welder lol. I’m in welding school atm so I might postpone this till I start tig. I’m watching fb market place like a hawk for an internal slave trans.

jamesl0822

Reaction score
I’ve got an 88 that I swapped a built LQ9 into and I also had an external slave nv3500 I was going to put behind it for a little while… lots of issues. Finally got it in and had issues with the fork not being long enough or having enough movement to engage
After experimenting with different clutch forks and modifications… I decided to get a TKX and kit from American Powertrain…. Ordered yesterday