Lubricant for hood latch? Hood latch not always releasing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Girl that used to live next door (mid-late 20's) had Crohn's. Occasionally needed a ride to the doc or hospital when hubby was at work. He owned a '98 Firebird. Big heavy doors with pooched hinge pins.
First time she gets outa my truck she slams the door so hard I thought that it was gonna go right through the truck to the other side!
Next time, as she's getting out, last thing I say to her..."Don't slam my door, O.K?"
WHAM goes the door!!! (Phuck!!!) Dumbass broad!
Next time, I get out & open the door for her.
"Such a gentleman! Hubby doesn't even do that for me!"
Pffft.
Uhmmm...NO!!! Not really! Just protecting my doors, or the glass from getting shattered. (...ya *****!)
Some people! Absolutely clueless!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Girl that used to live next door (mid-late 20's) had Crohn's. Occasionally needed a ride to the doc or hospital when hubby was at work. He owned a '98 Firebird. Big heavy doors with pooched hinge pins.
First time she gets outa my truck she slams the door so hard I thought that it was gonna go right through the truck to the other side!
Next time, as she's getting out, last thing I say to her..."Don't slam my door, O.K?"
WHAM goes the door!!! (Phuck!!!) Dumbass broad!
Next time, I get out & open the door for her.
"Such a gentleman! Hubby doesn't even do that for me!"
Pffft.
Uhmmm...NO!!! Not really! Just protecting my doors, or the glass from getting shattered. (...ya *****!)
Some people! Absolutely clueless!

Meh, hubby had her trained is all.

Ya go hunting with another mans dog, you have to hunt his way, not yours!

:rofl:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yep, people slamming doors is a pet peeve of mine. Every vehicle I have owned you simply have to swing it closed, it will latch properly. New pins and bushings as well as latches where needed and well lubricated. I tell everyone before they get in, you don't have to slam it, they automatically assume you have to since it's 'older'.

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am having a hell of a time opening my hood. When I pull the latch it is slightly releasing the latch, but not completely. The hood is not popping up at all. I have tried hitting the hood to get it to release but with no luck. Anyone have any tips/tricks/ideas how to get this damn thing open? Much appreciated!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Works a lot better if you have someone else pull the handle while you (carefully) beat on the hood. When they get really finicky, it's tough for just one person to get it done.

Lube that sucker up properly once you get it open.

Richard

Reaction score
Works a lot better if you have someone else pull the handle while you (carefully) beat on the hood. When they get really finicky, it's tough for just one person to get it done.

Lube that sucker up properly once you get it open.

Richard
Thank you. Ill give it a try when the wife gets home this evening!

Reaction score
So I ended up squirting WD-40 in and around the mechanism the best I could. Let it sit for an hour. Went and tried it again, and popped open no problem. :cheers:

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep an old school pump can with a magnetic clip on the side of my tool box. It has chain saw bar lube in it and is the best thing I have found for lubing hinges and latches. Penetrating oil just washes off. I find hood latches on of the most overlooked thing when a car is serviced. In the old days(I am Old) when you brought a car in for service every thing that moved got lubed and the front ends got greased. I brought a 66 Rambler I was driving in the late 90's to jiffy lube for an oil change and told the kid This car has 19 grease fittings find them all please. Used to clean and repack wheel bearings every 15,000 too.