LS to '00 OBS & trans/tcase basic Qs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

y5e06

Reaction score
I'm investigating an LS swap into my 2000 Tahoe Z71, which is the last of the vortec 5.7 OBS, and I have some basic questions. I'm considering any '01-'02 LQ4 DBC, or '03-'04 Express Van LQ4 as these are still DBC. I may consider a 5.3 but for now i'm looking for a 6.0.
I've searched & browsed but haven't seen clear specifics:

-the '01-'02 or the '03-'04 DBC examples above will correctly control my stock 4L60E? I may have to request torque management changes w/ a reprogram. (yes, I know my stock trans will need a rebuild upgrade w/ more powerful LS)

-instead, if I get a full engine & trans out of a 4x4, will that LS 4x4 4L60E bolt up to my stock transfer case? I have the autotrack deal, which I have no intention of changing

-do I need to stick to the 411 computer, if retaining my original trans, or will the '03-04 6.0 express van computers work? I am unsure if these are 411's.

rough plan:
DBC 6.0L w/ computer & harness
repin LS & Vortec harnesses to work together. maintain gauges & ABS.
6.0L cast iron manifolds
Lextech AC/alt brackets
stock 4L60E & transfer case
appropriate engine mounts to keep 'stock location'
home fab exhaust

Thanks

99bluetahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed my LS swap into my 1999 4wd 2 door tahoe w/ autotrack transfer case (np8) and everything works right, gauges, 4l60e, abs, evap, etc.

Not sure on the 03 van computers but using the 411 PCM in our trucks for an LS swap is pretty straight forward. I believe the 03 van computers are the 1k blue/green connector PCMs. If you use your own transmission from your Tahoe, you will need a 4L80e flexplate and spacer from a 01+ Lq4 6.0L in order for an LS engine to bolt up right to your torque converter.

My list of parts:
-Started with 411 swap and made sure everything worked right
-then reworked my stock harness to work with the LS engine and added a couple wires from a spare 01-02 truck harness (coil wiring, knock sensor wiring)
-I had a marine vortec intake on my L31 so I had already redone my wiring for external injectors.
-engine is a heads/cam 2006 Lq4 (24x reluctor)
-2006 Lq4 flexplate with spacer that came on my engine
-tbss intake with nick williams 90mm DBC
-Dirty dingo 4wd k1500 engine mounts part# DD-2575-4
-stock exhaust manifolds with home fabbed exhaust to connect to my existing dual x-piped exhaust
-Lextech AC/alt brackets (haven't installed it yet, maybe next week)
-Used stock ls truck radiator hoses with some trimming
-Currently have my oil cooler port blocked off on the engine but will run new braided lines soon, you will need 20mmx1.5 to -8an fittings for radiator.
-Stock trans cooler lines are pretty tight to the ls oil pan but worked fine with a little love. I am going redo them soon to braided lines.
-Stock L31 power steering pump bolts up to LS power power steering truck bracket.