LQ4/9 Swap into '94 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Those part numbers would be awesome.

I finally have my hands on my motor and transmission. Got a 2005 6.0L LQ4 with a NP241C transfer case with it (160,000km, both out of same '05, guy just needed the transmission) and I picked up a 2004 GM remanned 4L80E as well. I need to find the mating piece for between the transmission & transfer case and need to decide who to order a wiring harness and tune from.

Also got my hands on a set of somewhat beat up 20"x9" BMF Novakanes with +0 offset, which is the same as I'm running right now on a 17"x9". I was wondering what the largest size of Nitto 420s' would be able to fit under my truck. They have a 305/50R20 (32.05"x12.44"), and a 285/50R20 (31.30"x11.42"). If I lowered it 2" I'm assuming the 305's would be an absolute no go. I don't even know if they'd fit at the stock height?

Leaning towards Nelson Performance at the moment, but I'm unsure.

I have 8 months to build a motor and the transmission and want opinions on what would make a good running 6.0L.

Thanks again guys.

At stock height you're trimming either way. You have to be more specific what you want as far as "good running". How good? How many hp? Budget? Do to want to keep the stock rotating assembly?

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I'm looking heavily into the world of boost at the moment. I'd really like to do a low boost twin turbo setup on this LQ4.

I'm thinking 600ish HP, give or take whatever is reasonable. With the time I have on my hands, I would like to look into doing a forged rotating assembly. The truck will more than likely be daily driven for a little while. No set budget, necessarily.

Does anyone have access to the wiring diagrams for my '94?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well, I'm looking heavily into the world of boost at the moment. I'd really like to do a low boost twin turbo setup on this LQ4.

I'm thinking 600ish HP, give or take whatever is reasonable. With the time I have on my hands, I would like to look into doing a forged rotating assembly. The truck will more than likely be daily driven for a little while. No set budget, necessarily.

Does anyone have access to the wiring diagrams for my '94?
Just going twins for less lag?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your goal is 600hp go 408 stroker with a single turbo. No reason to over complicate it with twins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Hell for 600 go junkyard 5.3 with a single. It's easily attainable.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, just doing twins for less lag (yes, I know a well tuned single can be setup to spool just as quick) and the cool factor.

That being said, I already have the LQ4. I was definitely hoping to avoid the stroker route, without much for engine machine shops around here. (Closest one is 2.5hrs away)

Only reason behind the forged rotating assembly is to future proof it and for reliability reasons. Its going to be a daily driven truck once its finished for a while (Including start-ups everyday in -40degC during winter)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, not to be a debbie downer but a twin turbo LQ4 as a winter daily driver sounds like a terrible idea. I'm all for seeing you do the build, but if I were you I'd also be buying something else for a daily.