LQ4/9 Swap into '94 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will be far from a permanent DD lol. Just one or two winters off the bat. Thats why I don't want to make it ridiculous.

If my boss can have a compound turboed Cummins pushing 700RWHP as a DD, I can have a dope gas-powered truck with twins as a DD lol

I should have time to get most if not all of the tuning done in the summer-time and hopefully most of the kinks worked out as well, before the temperature drops. With a nice, large, wrap around oilpan heater and a block heater, I think the motor will be okay with a full synthetic 0w-30 (40?, what is even good for a turboed gas engine? Depends on tolerances?) in it.

Would I be better off running lower compression with more boost or more compression with less boost? What are the effects of each? Obviously much different powerband/power delivery, I'd assume?

I have a near-mint 1983 Porsche 944 that I want to do a 4.8 or 5.3 in eventually as well, N/A just minorly built. I wanna get away with a stock 944turbo transmission without tearing the ring gear out of it. But this is for later on.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apologizing for the novel in advance, bear with me here.

Okay, so. Plans are decided.

I had to get my left femur re-broken on the 20th due to a non-union (never healed) when I broke it a year and a half ago. Been working part time limping my way around since July of 2014.

Once my legs healed up, I should be able to work full-time. I'm going to cam the motor, valve springs, lifters, etc, do semi-low compression pistons (9:1, 9.5:1?), to future proof it for boost and nice conrods, sticking with the stock crank.

I'm going to get the motor in the truck and running with a nice N/A cam for a while, and get the heads milled, as well as use thinner head gaskets to make up for the low-comp pistons while I'm still running N/A. Gonna put a TransGo HD2 kit in the 4L80E until I boost it, which will obviously require some more building. I want to DD this thing.

Then, later on, I'll pull the engine, switch to a boost cam, put on a set of LSA heads and go from there.

But for now, I need to get this 6.0L built and ready for a nice N/A set up. Looking for around 380-450 RWHP, depending on whats realistic without boost. I don't want to go a stroker route for previously mentioned reasons (no local machine shop, closest one that will do cylinder boring is 2.5 hours away.) There is however, a nice cylinder head shop only 40 minutes away from me that will do basically anything except bore a block.

I've been reading hit and miss things about LS7 lifters, but any other aftermarket options are super expensive, it seems. So how are the LS7 lifters? I mean, I've never heard of a lifter failing in any 'Vette Z06's, and they spin all the way up to 7000RPM, so... I dunno.

What would you guys recommend for a cam? Been looking at cams in the 220-230 duration range, with around .580 - .600 of lift, around 112 LSA for the N/A set up. Thoughts? Heavily considering the TSP 228R. Like I said, I wanna daily drive it. So if you guys think a smaller cam would be better for that, lemme know. I've never built a full size engine before, so any advice is more than welcome.

Also: Out of curiosity, what are my seat options in this truck? I've got the 7 way power drivers seat, but there's pretty much no support for a performance application. I know a few welders and I'm sure we could fab up a mount for an after market seat to keep the power features the truck already has, but I dunno if thats realistic. Either way, what seats or seat would you guys go with?

I definitely want this truck to atleast somewhat handle well.

What are my options for the front suspension to stiffen it up on a 4WD?

I'm going to 4-link the rear using a universal Parallel 4-link kit from either Ridetech or NFamus, as well as do a watts link instead of a panhard bard, because I like the concept a lot more, and like I said, I know a few welders that would be more than willing to help out. Any opinions on this?

Probably going to do Ridetech's Shockwave Air shocks in the rear, or some coil overs. What do you guys think? I still wanna be able to hook up a 3-4000 lb trailer (at most, probably will never tow more than 2500lbs) to the back of this truck if I ever have to. I spend my winter months snowmobiling in the mountains and still need to be able to tow any sled trailer.

Last edited: