Lower temp t-stat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could try it. It may work it may not every truck is diffrent. Its not a big deal to swap it out if you had to.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it'd be a waste of money. No real reason for a cooler stat unless in very hot temps or FI. These motors are designed and tuned to run best when hot!

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
i have a 180 in mine, mines also tuned though, only reason i changed it was because i had to pull the radiator, and i say the 5 bucks for a t stat is good insurance when draining the cooling system.

i wouldnt go any lower then 180. i also got a fail safe one, so when it does go, it stays open

GMCzar

Reaction score
i have a 180 in mine, mines also tuned though, only reason i changed it was because i had to pull the radiator, and i say the 5 bucks for a t stat is good insurance when draining the cooling system.

i wouldnt go any lower then 180. i also got a fail safe one, so when it does go, it stays open

Do you have a Manufacturer and Part Number of what you have installed?

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
idk, i got it at auto zone, just tell them what you have and then say 180 or whatever, and the failsafe one.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 190 in mine, but my truck doesn't go past 130 when cruising, its ******* annoying, my truck runs rich and waste gas, I am on my 4th thermostat, from different brands and none work correctly, I don't know if its the Edelbrock Intake Manifold or what, But I recommend going with the stock t stat, I notice when I get stuck in traffic and it warms up, it runs so much smoother.

What do you guys think I can do?

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im using the MR Gasket 180 thermostat a GM repacement water pump. GM HD fanclutch GM HD radiator off of a 7.4 dually and with 14 psi of boost from the blower mine never goes past 175

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So how do I keep mine warm??

Are you going off of what you stock gauges say? If you are I would go get a cheap mechanical gauge and see what that says. if its correct Id look at you fanclutch and see if its working properly. It might be engauged all the time