Low Voltage but good Battery and Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my trucks been acting up a lot lately. Lost a good ground and it used my steel braided fuel line to till they popped lol. rewired the battery connections to insure a solid ground to motor, chassis, and frame. Truck will now start, but only shows 10v on the gauge and 11v at the PCM. voltmeter on the battery or the alternator is showing 11.5v

Pulled the battery and alternator and took them to Autozone for testing. Both checked out good. Alternator put out 14.8 volts. came home and put it all back together and still only 10v on the dash. Hooking my running car to my truck (battery to battery with jumper cables) I then get 14 volts. I used jumper cables to go directly from the battery to the alternator and this did nothing. It sounds like a voltage regulator but why would it pass then. Thoughts? could something in the truck be "robbing" volts? The truck consistently starts up, i havent taken it for a test drive.

1994 K1500

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
While its running see if you have 14v coming out of the alternator right at the terminal. If not, check the plug going to it to see if you're getting power. You might have fried something else or blown another fuse somewhere.

usar17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 11v on the alt terminal

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

usar17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No fuses blown

usar17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are good. Fairly new

usar17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Was actually an issue with using an LED bulb for the charging system indicator light. Haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk