Low beam on all the time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jvnascar03

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 97 GMC K1500 Z71. I noticed it when I bought it didn't think anything of it, but my low beams come when I turn on the ignition switch. My low beams are on all the time and I can't turn them off. Now that being said in order to have driving light and tail lights I have to turn the headlight switch on. Prior to buying my Z71 I owned a 97 GMC Suburban and never had this issue. The only time the lights came on was when I turned on the headlight switch on the Suburban. My question is: Is this normal for the low beams to come on when the ignition is turned on in my Z71?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Daytime running lights. If you don't feel the need to be seen by someone about to jog out in traffic, pull the DRL fuse.

Check legality before disabling them to ensure you will not receive a ticket.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, it's normal. DRLs, as mentioned. Standard from mid-90s up, I forget which year exactly.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I thought DRLs are the high beams

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
DRLs also are run off of a lower voltage.
IIRC, 60%?
With LED H.L's, I can't tell the difference from when the DRLs are on & when I turn the actual headlights on.
With the normal stock bulbs, I could see a definite brightness difference of the lights between the DRLs & the headlights.