Low amps new altenator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1994 K1500 350tbi

The trucks been stalling out lately and the amp hands been sittin around 12-13 fully loaded with headlights and ac on max. We had it tested and it failed the voltage test so we got a new one, put it in and it was at the same. That one failed to when tested, so we swapped it out again. This one sits just under 14 (but flexes alot) but when the ac and lights are put on it still drops quite a bit. The hand even moves with the blinker. What could lower the amps enough to kill the truck and make the altenator have a faulty bad voltage test? there's only one plug on the altenator and the ground so I'm not sure what it could be. Thanks

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Clean up all your grounds....Maybe add a grounding strap or two from engine to chassis
If that doesnt help, you may have corroded wiring, but I bet its a ground problem

BTW..You gauge reads voltage, not amps

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright if it's not a grounding probably is there anything else that could cause faulty voltage failure? And yeah I know its volts but around here most people refer to it as a amp hand on the gauge so I put I'm amps a few times on mistake

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the main grounding points? Correct me if im wrong but I heard battery to intake, head to firewall, and battery to frame. I have my battery to the chasis rather than frame, could that cause the problem?

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you figured out the problem yet? i have the same issue with mine. and i also swapped in a new alternator after a couple months of issues with the low voltage, and i even upgraded to the 140 amp alternator that came in special code packages. same problem. my grounds are pretty good. i installed all new ones when i did the swap. i was wondering since i have a k&n CAI, and free flow exhaust with no cats, if it was simply a matter of the truck running too lean, since the guys at the performance shop told me its running too lean because too much air coming in. i just dont have the extra money to have it tuned at the moment. But, it was only a low voltage problem (at least according to my gauge), until i replaced all of the ac componants, and finally had AC in the old girl. NOW, the voltage is even lower when the ac is on, and tries to stall when i come up to stop lights. Which again leads me to believe it still a lean condition problem. Let me know if you've fixed the problem buddy.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your battery....... the truck is run off the battery not the alternator... the alternator is just there to keep the battery charged that is it... the battery could be throwing the test off.... test each individually if you have the ability to or have the parts store do it if you haven't already.

How have you been testing the altenator??

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And X2 on cleaning all the grounds.... the can and will mess with everything if in bad shape

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It ended up being the wire running from the battery to the alternator, the previous owner duct taped the two ends together instead of electrical tape. That raised my voltage, but it still moves when my blinker is on. I was having my alternator tested at the parts store where all the test came back bad voltage, but it was faulty. Also the battery isn't that old

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off topic but my truck is running pretty rich right now... recently I had a hole in my upper radiator hose and my engine overheat to about 260 and when I fixed it my coolant temp sense stopped working (probably burnt up). Could that cause it to run rich?