Loud tick after starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_GMC_Z71

Reaction score
Whenever I start my truck there's a repetitive tick that increases in pace if I rev the engine but slowly stops after idling for 5-10min anyone know what it is and how to fix it?

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Usually it's the lifter or the rocker arms in the valve train clicking. It can be especially common in cold weather. As the oil warms up and thins out, things clear up.

Usually its no big deal, just let it warm up a few minutes, which you normally would do in cold weather anyway.

Consider running a 0w40 or 0w30 synthetic and be sure you have a high quality oil filter like Wix.

I run 5w40 in one truck, 5w30 in the other (both are 5.7 vortec) and the one with 5w40 ticks a bit louder and a little longer when it's under 30f outside and truck is stone cold.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
if its a lifter, put a can of seafoam in your oil about 200-500 miles before your next oil change.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It was just the one. Caught it before it took the cam out.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach