Loud clapping noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Problem solved! For now at least..

I got an oil change, put in a bottle of Slick 50 (here comes the hate), reinstalled the intake resonator, and put on a paper filter.

I think maybe the engine was getting dusted from the Spectre air filter that's now a year old and has yet to be cleaned (oops). It doesn't look dirty at all, but the oil has dried so idk. Anyways, the truck doesn't make the noise, and it sounds great. Back to normal.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Mine was doing something similar. I was distracted from it because one of my main bearings failed and I had to rebuild my engine. That was a noticeable noise. I did not have an engine host so I just built the engine in the bay. I replaced the crankshaft and also redid the intake and head gaskets while at it. The pistons still had the factory cross-hatching on them so I didn't even bother with the rings. I also did not touch the valve train due to limited funds, which I probably should have. When I fired up the engine again it ran fine, but the noise from before was back (the first one, not the main bearing explosion sound). I was running Pennzoil and a K&N filter for about a year (3 oil changes) and decided to go back to Mobil 1 oil and filter like I did in the past. Ever since then I have not had the problem come back.

I know K&N has been know for faulty filters, but it could also be a problem with Pennzoil. I have known others when I was in the military that told me they had no problems with Pennzoil in their Fords, but there GM vehicles just did not like it. My wifes family uses it religiously and never has had a problem, but they are Ford lovers. Anyone else with problems with Pennzoil?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
A lot of the factory engines take forever to get oil to the top end in the first place. Add freezing temperature, and it's not uncommon for excessive valve train noise on star up in the morning. Mine was a factory GM reman and it did it from the time it was new. It still does a bit, just not as much.