Loud clapping noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
... I couldn't see piston slap without oil getting past the rings.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Pretty common actually.

Slap is the skirt hitting the bore. As long as there's sufficient clearance in the lands, the rings seal just fine...

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Interesting...it just seems weird from a machinsts stand point.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
From the sounds of it could be, but the problem with that it goes away. With an exhaust leak it usually never goes away and gets louder the faster you go, but road noise can hide it.
My turbocharged car sound like that, but it also had piston slap along with the leak at the manifold. My other turbocharged car that I fought with the exhaust manifold also would make sounds like this , but never quited down until tightening up the exhaust manifold.

So the manifold doesn't expand with heat, closing the gap?
I would bet on this. Are you burning any oil like smoke coming out of the exhaust. I couldn't see piston slap without oil getting past the rings.
I'm not burning any oil, and there isn't any smoke. But I do sometimes catch a whiff of a burnt oil smell. Overall though, i'm not losing any oil.

UPDATE:
I started it one morning at ~45 degrees. It made it's normal slapping noise, but this time there was a pinging noise, like metal hitting metal. It wasn't consistent though, it would ping only every few random seconds. Once it warmed up all of the noises stopped and the truck drove like normal. Since then I put a little bit of oil in before I start it in an effort to coat everything with oil. It hasn't made the pinging noise, but the other slappy noise is still there.

Also, the oil pressure is at 42 almost the whole time.

I'm living in the mountains now so I don't have internet or phone service, so my replies are few and far in between but I appreciate the replies.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This is what was causing the loud clapping noise in my '97. Sounded similar to what you describe your's is doing.
Caught it before it killed the cam. Checked all the lifters. This was the only one. Weird.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
That's gnarly man hahah.

So do you think this is doing damage to anything other than the engine? I'm going to have it rebuilt or a new engine put in, but should I do it sooner rather than driving it until it dies?

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't watch the video or read the long comments but maybe loose valves? Not sure how these motor are with having to adjust the valves or how that kind of weather would affect the motor. Maybe the oil is thining out from how cold it is? That would of course depend on what weight u use.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
I use 5w30, which is recommended. Plus, It seems like the oil would thicken with the cold? but anyways, I thought of that too, maybe the oil just isn't in the pistons at startup.