Loud clapping noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched the video and that seems a little too loud/solid to be piston slap.......

Sent from somewhere in MN

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like a rod to me, but normally a rod wouldnt quit when its warm.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yup, i'll agree that it's quite loud for slap although i've heard them quite bad.

The "goes away when warm" isn't really consistent with anything else that would make similar noise. That it does it for 5 mins is consistent with really bad slap.

Normally, slap is a ticking that lasts a 30-60 secs and disappears as the piston expands.

Same deal as rod knock. It doesn't abate as it warms, its there all the time.

Did this noise come on slowly over time and get louder as it went or did you turn it one one day and the noise start?

Slap is somethig that comes on gradually as the clearances open from wear and tear.

If it started all at once, its highly unlikely to be piston slap....

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
It just happened one day, when it was really cold. I used to park it in my garage at home every night, and now I leave it in the school parking lot in Humboldt, since I live on campus. Sometime during the beginning of winter it just happened and it scared the out of me. So I turned it off right away and checked under the hood, I thought a cat or a rat climbed up inside and got shredded in the belt or something lol.

Also, I've been driving it the last couple days and it only lasts a few seconds now. The weather is warmer, but I've also been driving fairly regularly.

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
It just happened one day, when it was really cold. I used to park it in my garage at home every night, and now I leave it in the school parking lot in Humboldt, since I live on campus. Sometime during the beginning of winter it just happened and it scared the out of me. So I turned it off right away and checked under the hood, I thought a cat or a rat climbed up inside and got shredded in the belt or something lol.

Also, I've been driving it the last couple days and it only lasts a few seconds now. The weather is warmer, but I've also been driving fairly regularly.

When you say 'really cold', what do you mean? 60*? 20*? -20*?

When was the last time you changed your oil?

What weight of oil are you using?

What does your oil pressure gauge read on startup? @ 60mph? At idle fully warmed up?

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
When you say 'really cold', what do you mean? 60*? 20*? -20*?

When was the last time you changed your oil?

What weight of oil are you using?

What does your oil pressure gauge read on startup? @ 60mph? At idle fully warmed up?

Really cold for California lol, low 30's, high 20's

I change the oil every ~4,000 miles using the recommended 5w30.

The oil pressure gauge moves when I press the gas and/or brake. Is that normal? I'll try to remember to check what it's at tomorrow.

The truck took me home (over 500 miles), and back again (another 500). We'll be doing another 600 in the next two days to Washington. The truck runs fine, it's just the start up that sounds awful. I don't drive it until the noise stops, and this morning it went on for a good 10minutes.

A friend thinks it's an exhaust leak, is that a possibility?

xredge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A friend thinks it's an exhaust leak, is that a possibility?
From the sounds of it could be, but the problem with that it goes away. With an exhaust leak it usually never goes away and gets louder the faster you go, but road noise can hide it.
My turbocharged car sound like that, but it also had piston slap along with the leak at the manifold. My other turbocharged car that I fought with the exhaust manifold also would make sounds like this , but never quited down until tightening up the exhaust manifold.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a failed/collapsed/stuck lifter. If it doesn't pump up with oil pressure it will let the clearance between the pushrod and rocker arm be excessive and cause a lot of racket. It can a lot of times can go away when warm as everything heats up.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Could be a failed/collapsed/stuck lifter. If it doesn't pump up with oil pressure it will let the clearance between the pushrod and rocker arm be excessive and cause a lot of racket. It can a lot of times can go away when warm as everything heats up.

I would bet on this. Are you burning any oil like smoke coming out of the exhaust. I couldn't see piston slap without oil getting past the rings.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2