Loose side mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shibbershabber

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My side mirror is loose enough that it blows inward while driving on the freeway.

I cant see where it can be tightened.

Anyone do this before?

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the bottom of that black plastic cover there is a Torx screw. Take the screw off and inside there are two eight millimeter headed bolts. Either tighten them or remove them and the bracket that they hold then wrap a piece of sandpaper around the shaft. Then reinstall the bracket, the two bolts and cover.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yup ^^^ except one more detail; that torx screw holds the cover on only at the bottom - at the top, there are two small tabs that clip into the mirror mount flange. They're stupid easy to break. So once you get the screw out, try to be really gentle pulling the cover off.

Don't go crazy tightening the bolts inside; test it a few times before you re-install the cover, so that you can still position the mirror when needed.

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup ^^^ except one more detail; that torx screw holds the cover on only at the bottom - at the top, there are two small tabs that clip into the mirror mount flange. They're stupid easy to break. So once you get the screw out, try to be really gentle pulling the cover off.

Don't go crazy tightening the bolts inside; test it a few times before you re-install the cover, so that you can still position the mirror when needed.

Richard
Very true. I forgot about how easy those break.

mproctor83

Reaction score
Thank you skylark and Richard! My passenger side mirror starts folding in around 60-65mph and has been this way for years. Going out to try this right now.

EDIT: You were not kidding about those tabs at the top. I barely touched it and they both snapped at the same time. It seems to stay in place just fine for now with the screw in place and the friction of the o-ring holding the top until I can get another one. I can finally go on the freeway AND use my passenger side mirror at the same time haha. Thanks again!

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are anywhere near southern Oregon I have a couple of sets.
Thank you skylark and Richard! My passenger side mirror starts folding in around 60-65mph and has been this way for years. Going out to try this right now.

EDIT: You were not kidding about those tabs at the top. I barely touched it and they both snapped at the same time. It seems to stay in place just fine for now with the screw in place and the friction of the o-ring holding the top until I can get another one. I can finally go on the freeway AND use my passenger side mirror at the same time haha. Thanks again!