loose radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently replcaed the radiator in my 96 k1500. when I pulled the old one out I found that the leak had been caused by the radiator sitting in the bottom of the support with no rubber bushings to cradle it. I couldnt get the bushings to I found some rubber and made some for it to sit on. it seems to work well and I was happy with it.

fast forward to that afternoon I was talking to my dad and he thought that maybe it shouldnt be snug so that it can flex with the frame. we looked at his which is a 97 k2500 with a 454 and one side of the radiator was tight but on the passenger side it was not.

so is it supposed to be snug, kinda loose or have free play???? thanks for the help.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
They're mounted in rubber on all four corners. They will move somewhat, since they're not bolted directly to the core support. They shouldn't be floppy, Though.

Getting new rubber pieces shouldn't be hard. The rubber pieces in my 99 truck are very simialr to the pieces in my 69 Buick... GM's been doing it that way for awhile. They can be had in urethane, too, but I'm not sure that's any kind of an advantage.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. I think its fine how it is now but next time im at the salvage yard Ill see about grabbing some spare bushings in case my modified ones ever give me problems