Lock up converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure but i think you start crusing around 60 and tap the breaks and if the rpms jump up you have a lock up and its functioning properly

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
and if it's there but not working then I'd still be in the dark. I know having 265/75s and 3.42 gears it should be turning a little less than 2100 rpms at 65

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
someone correct me if im wrong but if you have an automatic transmission you have a lockup converter and if it doesnt die when you come to a stoplight in drive then its working

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
someone correct me if im wrong but if you have an automatic transmission you have a lockup converter and if it doesnt die when you come to a stoplight in drive then its working

Not all auto transmissions have a lock up converter, but if they do not unlock and you come to a stop this is true. To the OP chances are pretty good that you have a lockup converter. The easiest way to see if it is working is to drive it and count the shifts. After the over drive engages feel for another "shift" the RPM's will only drop 100 to 200 RPM's. Once you think it has engaged do a little 2 foot driving while maintaining a constant speed, step on the brake and when it unlocks the RPM's should increase 100 to 200 RPM's

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how would an automatic transmission function without a converter that can lock and unlock

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
Not all auto transmissions have a lock up converter, but if they do not unlock and you come to a stop this is true. To the OP chances are pretty good that you have a lockup converter. The easiest way to see if it is working is to drive it and count the shifts. After the over drive engages feel for another "shift" the RPM's will only drop 100 to 200 RPM's. Once you think it has engaged do a little 2 foot driving while maintaining a constant speed, step on the brake and when it unlocks the RPM's should increase 100 to 200 RPM's

Did the two foot driving at about sixty steady no difference in rpms when I ease on the brakes and the extra "shift" is nowhere to be found

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
If im not mistaken if you were to take your Vin into the dealer they could look up the RPO codes and it may list if it has it or not. :shrug:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are talking about the 92 then yes it should have one. another way to tell if it's working or not is get up to 55 or so and hold it there then go to accelerate (not enough to make it shift out of OD) if RPMS climb without going faster than it is unlocked and not working