Little truck trouble.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're trying to set the timing you have to have a diagnostic tool that will run the cam retard offset test. There aren't many that will, and they are all expensive, like a GM Tech 2 or Snap on MODIS. If you are using a parts store type OBD2 scanner, you're probably just looking at ignition timing, as you actually have to enter the specific test mode to set it properly.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That 8 has to line up with that mark on the outside of the distributor body with the engine at TDC.
Don't over tighten the cap or you will break it like they did.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're trying to set the timing you have to have a diagnostic tool that will run the cam retard offset test. There aren't many that will, and they are all expensive, like a GM Tech 2 or Snap on MODIS. If you are using a parts store type OBD2 scanner, you're probably just looking at ignition timing, as you actually have to enter the specific test mode to set it properly.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

100% correct though there are a few relatively inexpensive ones that do it - several of the AutoXray scanners have this feature, though the $250-$350 you'll spend to get it is still a little tough to swallow just to get this one job done.

Last time I needed to set the distributor on a Vortec, I borrowed a friend's OTC Genesys.

Richard

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another quick question for yall, I rolled on under the truck when I was fixing the exhaust and brakes. Well I noticed that the torsion bars do not have an even amount of bolt showing, but the truck looks fairly even. I was going to turn them up to level out the truck. Then I saw that, what shall I do?

98_k1500

Reaction score
That is normal, they don't have exactly the same amount of "springiness". Thats why they have adjuster bolts from the factory in the first place. If it comes to a point of not being able to get enough height out of the bar because it is sagging, you will need to replace the torsion bar.

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well darn. I was hoping to turn the front up a bit. Or could I still if I just turn them the same? The truck needs an alignment anyways

98_k1500

Reaction score
Yes, just turn them an even number of turns. if one bottoms out, turn the other the same number of turns and it will still sit level. You can level the truck on a flat surface this way with a tape measure too. Just measure your fender height and adjust the bars accordingly. Did you get the running issue fixed?

Evatyl14

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think so. Haven't drove it much. My uncle took the cap out and rotated it a tooth. He said the pic you posted was a great help and wish he had it when he did his other trucks.