Lit up my headache rack!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Ever since I built my headache rack last year, I've been trying to decide what to do with it when it comes to lights. Kind of wanted cargo lights on it, kind of wanted brake/tail lights on it, and kind of wanted some forward facing off-road lights on it. Still looking into off-road lights, but I picked some Tail/Brake and Backup Lights, and some mounts for them for a few $ each. Finished tucking the wires into split-loom and routing them around the outside edge of the mesh right after this picture, but here's pretty much what it looks like.
You must be registered for see images attach

Tail Lights:

Brake Lights:

Brake Lights and B/U Lights:

Also, I put a power source and toggle switch into the B/U light circuit as a manual override, so they work as cargo lights too.

These, along with the 2 bulb brake light mod I just finished, I think my brake lights will show up now.

Last edited:

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i did that to mine awhile go but i just had brake lights in it i was plannin on having parking lights brake lights and turn signals though

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Thanks! Only thing I've noticed is that since the backs of the lights are exposed, the rear of the housing glows and they kind of light up the cab when it's dark outside. Made a right turn at 4 this morning and, thanks to the turn signal, it almost looked like someone was turning my dome light on and off. :) It's not too bad that I can't live with it, but I may try painting the backs of the housings darker, or even put some thin plate steel behind them.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Hate to dig up an old thread, but if you are doing this the way that I did, I've gotta warn you. When I hooked my b/u / cargo lights up, I spliced them into the b/u light circuit under the bed, then spliced my override switched power supply into the same circuit under the hood. While it works fine most of the time, If the truck is in Reverse, and the Cargo Light switch is on, the lights still work fine, but the power also feeds back through the reverse switch and ultimately to the ignition, powering the ignition circuit for the whole truck. Sooo, with the cargo lights on, key off, in reverse, it is like the key is turned on. Just something to think about. Could probably put a diode in the line between the override splice and the tranny switch to keep it from feeding back into the circuit.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hate to dig up an old thread, but if you are doing this the way that I did, I've gotta warn you. When I hooked my b/u / cargo lights up, I spliced them into the b/u light circuit under the bed, then spliced my override switched power supply into the same circuit under the hood. While it works fine most of the time, If the truck is in Reverse, and the Cargo Light switch is on, the lights still work fine, but the power also feeds back through the reverse switch and ultimately to the ignition, powering the ignition circuit for the whole truck. Sooo, with the cargo lights on, key off, in reverse, it is like the key is turned on. Just something to think about. Could probably put a diode in the line between the override splice and the tranny switch to keep it from feeding back into the circuit.

Where did you get you're rack from

Tapatapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo