lifters good or bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does anyone know how to tell if lifters are still usable? they only have about 20000 miles on them but the engine was run out of oil. i pulled them earlier and there was no visible damage to them.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Lifters are cheap, so I have never reused them. Except in a few over head cam situations where they don't ride on anything

I would be worried that if they lost oil pressure that there is internal failure that you can't see.

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they are hydraullic roller. ill check for play in the rollers. i would just get new ones but this build is really on a tight budget so i dont wanna spend what i dont have too.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO I would replace them, even though you are on a tight budget, its one thing that could cost you more money in the long run, you may have one of the rollers stick, when it sticks it will flaten a lobe on the cam, then your stuck buying a cam and set of lifters. I think everyone has there own opinion on what to do, and there is a million ways to cheap out on a job, I just dont want to see you get burned in the end.

naphidim

Reaction score
you may want to check the lobes on ur camshaft, to make sure they haven't worn down too much or even broken or chipped..
cams should always be checked when replaceing the lifters,

also try oiling a lifter and putting it in each of the bores to make sure it is a nice slop free slide fit