Let's get connected!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great article! I just wanted to add a couple of tools I have helpful.
Lisle 56500 Terminal Tool https://a.co/d/djdW8Fu
Dorman 90707 Battery Lug Crimper https://a.co/d/58uRepj
I dig the Lisle tool but not a big fan of the battery lug crimper. Seen too many bad connections made by that thing. Now if you follow up with soldering then it would work.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dig the Lisle tool but not a big fan of the battery lug crimper. Seen too many bad connections made by that thing. Now if you follow up with soldering then it would work.
You have to be patient and pay attention for sure. Soldering is definitely the best way to do any of this work.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most “experts” seem to agree that crimping is best for automotive application. Since I’m not one of them, I can’t really say.

PROS

Accessibility, simplicity and affordability are the biggest advantages of soldering. Solder and flux are the only materials needed for soldering, and tooling is minimal (a soldering iron, assorted tips, and fixturing if necessary). A basic soldering kit can be used to perform most soldering applications. For more delicate, low-current applications, such as circuit boards in consumer electronics, soldering is a reliable method to join conductive materials and terminate contacts that are already mounted in a connector.

CONS

More labor-intensive and time-consuming than crimping, soldering also has a greater risk of its connections succumbing to mechanical or temperature stresses. This makes soldering a less practical option for harsh environments where corrosion, repetitive movement and vibration can cause wires to stiffen and the filler metal to degrade over time, leading to electrical failure. If the heat generated during the soldering process is not controlled properly, problems can arise including damage to your components when wire, contact or connector thermal limits are exceeded. Meanwhile, if the solder does not completely melt, the “cold solder” joint can produce a rough, inconsistent surface, resulting in a weak bond.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flag rate is when the book says it's gonna take X amount of time to make the repair and that's what you get paid. If you beat the book then you can move on to the next job quicker and your making more money. Flag rate is also why some jobs don't get done right,you're not getting paid for extra effort.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flag rate is when the book says it's gonna take X amount of time to make the repair and that's what you get paid. If you beat the book then you can move on to the next job quicker and your making more money. Flag rate is also why some jobs don't get done right,you're not getting paid for extra effort.
I understand what you’re saying. I’m just pointing out that there’s at least an equal sized opposing argument on this. Endless articles on this and it sorta becomes a “best oil” debate. Then it cripples your mind and you don’t know what to think.

Gmule

Reaction score
That's the way to do it,better than making a splice any day. I'm surprised the factory is furnishing a whole pigtail that has to be spliced in rather than just the terminals to repair the connector. They send you to school to learn the correct way to make that repair but only send you the parts to half ass it it up.
Go figure!
It is Ford after all

Gmule

Reaction score
These are fun to play with

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpeg
    IMG_1260.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24