Legit cowl hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
Where can I find a fiberglass (to save weight) 2" cowl hood with a functional cowl? Ive heard some of these hoods have a cowl but its closed off. Where can I find one thats open and will actually let air in and heat out?

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im really not even sure ive been looking at some cowl hoods but im not sure weather i wanna go steel for durability or fiberglass

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fiberglass hoods are lighter than a steel hood. Trouble is, these trucks are very heavy anyway, so the little difference between a fiberglass and steel hood wont really make a big difference unless you start striping off a lot of other things. As for air flow, well the original cowl induction hoods were a hood that that in cold air to feed a big carb on an engine way back when. There are steel hoods today for these trucks that do allow air flow through the engine bay, and I have even seen some that have kits that will feed outside cold air to your TBI, but if you have a Vortec, the air going into the engine, has to be monitored. Truth is, there is no real need to add a vent to let out the engine bay air and heat. There is no real performance gain in a cowl hood on these trucks, unless you have a TBI, or a carb swap, and you pipe in the cowl so it feeds the throttle body, or carb, and can not pull any heat from the engine bay. A true cold air intake. If heat is an issue, your best mod is a good set of electric fans. This will provide much better air flow for cooling than adding a cowl hood will. I have a write up on here on what I did on my 97. Here is a link to my write up on the fans.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/electric-fan-swap-on-the-cheap.41756/
If all you really want is the cool look of a cowl hood, I understand that, they do look cool, but it mostly just looks cool. It will help a little, but not much.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 4" glass hood on a 90 GMC I built years ago. It really wasn't that much lighter than the steel hood. I have a 4" steel on my Yukon and it's not that bad. Like already mentioned, what weight difference there is isn't gonna be noticed. But I do believe that a cowl will vent hot air, dunno if will make the engine run cooler, but I think it makes a difference. The first car that used a cowl hood was a 69 Camaro.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 4" glass hood on a 90 GMC I built years ago. It really wasn't that much lighter than the steel hood. I have a 4" steel on my Yukon and it's not that bad. Like already mentioned, what weight difference there is isn't gonna be noticed. But I do believe that a cowl will vent hot air, dunno if will make the engine run cooler, but I think it makes a difference. The first car that used a cowl hood was a 69 Camaro.
Would you happen to have a picture of the 4” cowl hood installed? Thats what im wanting to go with