Cowl or factory hood?? Can’t decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A real cowl hood would be sealed to the intake and not pushing air into the engine bay.

Right, and that's kind of what I was getting at. Aftermarket cowl hoods are done 99.99% for looks and getting it to function would be up to the installer, so I wasn't sure if they were even open at the rear when purchased. I'd think fiberglass would be less likely to be open, but having never even looked at one up close, I'm just guessing.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, and that's kind of what I was getting at. Aftermarket cowl hoods are done 99.99% for looks and getting it to function would be up to the installer, so I wasn't sure if they were even open at the rear when purchased. I'd think fiberglass would be less likely to be open, but having never even looked at one up close, I'm just guessing.

I don't know how large the benefit is at non-NASCAR speeds anyways. Probably minor if I had to guess.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just cause it's not hooked up as a ram air doesn't mean it's not functional. I could see it being a large function on my truck to let hot air out when driving in the city in the summer.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No cowl. These came with 210HP on a 4000lb truck, so unless you're dialing up the HP and TQ with a Whipple or LS-swap, then poseur. I like the clean lines of the factory hood. And definitely, two tone.

Of course, this is just another cheap internet opinion from someone you don't know, but you asked...

cowl. These came with 210HP on a 4000lb truck, so unless you're dialing up the HP and TQ with a Whipple or LS-swap, then poseur. I like the clean lines of the factory hood. And definitely, two tone.
Of course, this is just another cheap internet opinion from someone you don't know, but you asked...
Op already said it was a looks only thing. I was just making the argument that it COULD be beneficial, not a negative. As has been commented by someone who had a cowl open to air, he could see air exit at low speeds.