Left Front Rub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello,

new member, long time viewer. Recently bought a 92 OBS C1500 Standard Cab, short bed. Got it from the original owner who did what i think is a 3/4 lowering kit on the truck: coils up front with hangers in the rear. The left front tire rubs on the inner fender over bumps and dips. Replaced the old crappy shocks with Bilsteins thinking it would cure it but while the ride is better it still rubs. I have not had it aligned since I bought it but the tire wear looks even. Is there something else I should look at or would stock coils and drop spindles solve my issue? Also a new member on FSC so apologies if you see this post twice.

Any help is much appreciated.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what size tire and what wheel size/offset

mine does this on hard bumps with a 2/4, but i am going to be rolling the fenders and should correct my problem.

Reaction score
Hi, sorry, should have mentioned that.

Running the 93-96 Impala SS 17" wheels. Unsure of the offset. The truck came with some 90's style 15" billet wheels, again unsure of the offset but it did the same thing with them also. Where as the 15" would rub on the outer edge of the tire due to the smaller size/width, the 17" rub an 1/2" or so toward the center of the tread. the 17" wheels fill out the wheel well more. Whats makingme scratch my head is the fact it only happens on the left side, and not the right. and i am not a big guy adding a lot weight on the drivers side.

severedchris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you might want to look at your control arm bushings...also your sway bar end link on the driver's side...only thing I can think of if you've replaced the shocks. I had a 98 with a 2/4 on 22's with 265/35/22 and it would rub on dips...I bought some KYB shocks, and that solved my issue. You may want to see if you can find a stiffer shock..the bilstein may actually be a softer shock..highly unlikely but possible.

blue_92_sierra

Aftermath
Reaction score
Is it rubbing the inside fender lip or the actuall inner fender itself? Also what size tires you running? Ive seen trucks 5/7 with the impala wheels. Im gonna bet you probably need to roll your fender lips up front. The reason it rubs on the left is maybe caused by what they call "chevy lean" where the truck is slightly lower on one side than the other

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome, we need to see a pic of the truck to see how it's sitting, and also we need to know what size tires you have.

Reaction score
Thx everyone. I am running 255/60-17. Its rubbing on the lip where the fender and the inner fender meet. It sounds like rolling the lip will cure it. I will find a level spot to take pics of the truck. Bur from what everyone is saying this is a common thing and isnt directly related to the shorter springs, which I thought it was.

Severedchris: thx for the tip, I will take a look as everything is still original under the truck from what I can tell and it only has 80,000 miles on it and still has the rivited ball joints, etc so it leads me to believe the suspension bushings (which are cracked and old looking) have never been replaced either.