LED Gauge Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well Brandon isn't wrong. Green is used in NVGs because the photoreceptors in our eyes are most sensitive to wavelengths of light near the 532nm range (green) and picks up more detail from green light, even if the light is dimmer.

Red (650nm range) has been deemed the best color for night vision retention because it is a less "intense" light and it doesn't affect the rod cells inside our retinas as much as most other wavelengths. This is one of the reasons many militaries use red flashlights and headlamps for night time operations or doing things like reading maps at night. The other being it is harder for our eyes to see red light (when compared to other wavelengths) from a further distance, therefore not giving away their position.

We don't use red lights any more. Green only. Maybe in an enclosed area like a submarine or such, but no where else.

Aircraft, surface ships, in the bush. All green.

Red shows up like a lighthouse beacon on night vision goggles. Literally tens of miles away or more. You can spot an aircraft on the edge of the horizon with red anti colliders like it's an arm's length away.

Green is near cold and is part or the background when looking at it.

All our night illumination is green. No red. When we use lighting at all that is.

So while red may be a bit "better by the numbers" for your rods and cones, it's gonna get you dead in night ops by military standards if you want to talk in that context.

No one conducts night ops without nvg anymore. You're dead if you don't. It's that simple.

Red=dead.

500+ hours nvg ops, 2000+ hrs night ops, 15 years "in the field", 24 years service..... 6 more years to go to be the old guy sitting on the porch yelling at the kids in his jello tree.

:)

Last edited:

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well Brandon isn't wrong. Green is used in NVGs because the photoreceptors in our eyes are most sensitive to wavelengths of light near the 532nm range (green) and picks up more detail from green light, even if the light is dimmer.

Red (650nm range) has been deemed the best color for night vision retention because it is a less "intense" light and it doesn't affect the rod cells inside our retinas as much as most other wavelengths. This is one of the reasons many militaries use red flashlights and headlamps for night time operations or doing things like reading maps at night. The other being it is harder for our eyes to see red light (when compared to other wavelengths) from a further distance, therefore not giving away their position.

Red also Raises your blood pressure.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
We don't use red lights any more. Green only. Maybe in an enclosed area like a submarine or such, but no where else.

Aircraft, surface ships, in the bush. All green.

Red shows up like a lighthouse beacon on night vision goggles. Literally tens of miles away or more. You can spot an aircraft on the edge of the horizon with red anti colliders like it's an arm's length away.

Green is near cold and is part or the background when looking at it.

All our night illumination is green. No red. When we use lighting at all that is.

So while red may be a bit "better by the numbers" for your rods and cones, it's gonna get you dead in night ops by military standards if you want to talk in that context.

No one conducts night ops without nvg anymore. You're dead if you don't. It's that simple.

Red=dead.

500+ hours nvg ops, 2000+ hrs night ops, 15 years "in the field", 24 years service..... 6 more years to go to be the old guy sitting on the porch yelling at the kids in his jello tree.

:)

Ok so maybe my military knowledge is outdated, but was correct at some point in my lifetime. I was just trying to get across what I said earlier:

Red (650nm range) has been deemed the best color for night vision retention because it is a less "intense" light and it doesn't affect the rod cells inside our retinas as much as most other wavelengths.

:shrug:

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody else put their leds in almost everything possible in the cab? Like 4x4 switch, pass airbag switch, and headlight switch? Just curious if im the only one

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Anybody else put their leds in almost everything possible in the cab? Like 4x4 switch, pass airbag switch, and headlight switch? Just curious if im the only one

Working on it. Dome conversion will be done by mike. As will the headlight switch with dimmer mod so it works right. Still waiting on a decent set of heater controls to pop out without falling apart and I will be golden. Damn potato chip plastic controls. Window switches will be done too at some point.

Tyler/T-Unit

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Working on it. Dome conversion will be done by mike. As will the headlight switch with dimmer mod so it works right. Still waiting on a decent set of heater controls to pop out without falling apart and I will be golden. Damn potato chip plastic controls. Window switches will be done too at some point.

Tyler/T-Unit

Theyre all really easy IMO. Just take the twist lock thing out and pull the bulb and leads out and put the led in where the bulb leads were. I wouldn't recommend doing the passenger airbag switch, all of the connections are open and too much pressure in one spot will short it out. And if you do the 4x4 switch make sure you put something over the led to dim it. Mine is blinding driving at night

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Theyre all really easy IMO. Just take the twist lock thing out and pull the bulb and leads out and put the led in where the bulb leads were. I wouldn't recommend doing the passenger airbag switch, all of the connections are open and too much pressure in one spot will short it out. And if you do the 4x4 switch make sure you put something over the led to dim it. Mine is blinding driving at night

It's all in the works. I have to talk to mike about getting leds for the other stuff.

Tyler/T-Unit

Green15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got the whole interior done in LED's

...yeah I'm the guy with the green LED's that got this whole color spectrum/ military ops conversation started...

i did green to match my deck, and the truck being green works well too...