Leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like some redneck just pried the spring pack apart, tossed one aside and bolted it all back together, without even trying to bend the tabs back in.

Roscoe was missing about a thousand pounds worth of engine, transmission, and other stuff, so it wasn't full C3500 heavy, although the hundred pounds of mouse turds didn't help. Still, I don't think Way Cool Jr is going to be carrying any more than can fit in the bed from now on.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like some redneck just pried the spring pack apart, tossed one aside and bolted it all back together, without even trying to bend the tabs back in.

Roscoe was missing about a thousand pounds worth of engine, transmission, and other stuff, so it wasn't full C3500 heavy, although the hundred pounds of mouse turds didn't help. Still, I don't think Way Cool Jr is going to be carrying any more than can fit in the bed from now on.
Well, at least you found out thanks to this thread! Always good to compare your old truck to other similar trucks. You never know what the previous owners add or delete before you buy them, LOL.

So the OP's problem is actually not his but yours! Sorry Brother, I'm giggling! :D

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Longer shackles = lower.

From what I can see in this pic's angle, the leaf spring eye bushings aren't all in that great of shape.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rubber is softer than polyurethane so it's better at lessening road noise and vibrations.
Rubber bushings make for a smoother ride.
They're also a lot more prone to damage from oil, UV, road chemicals and heat.
Poly will upgrade the suspension's stability and have an increased lifespan but they won't do you any favors when it comes to vibration absorption.

I dunno about the longevity piece. On road course cars they'll deform over time. In a heavy truck I could see the same thing happening.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, at least you found out thanks to this thread! Always good to compare your old truck to other similar trucks. You never know what the previous owners add or delete before you buy them, LOL.

So the OP's problem is actually not his but yours! Sorry Brother, I'm giggling! :D
I'm just glad i can finally give back to the community lol

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Longer shackles = lower.

From what I can see in this pic's angle, the leaf spring eye bushings aren't all in that great of shape.

Rubber is softer than polyurethane so it's better at lessening road noise and vibrations.
Rubber bushings make for a smoother ride.
They're also a lot more prone to damage from oil, UV, road chemicals and heat.
Poly will upgrade the suspension's stability and have an increased lifespan but they won't do you any favors when it comes to vibration absorption.
hmm. Okay cool. Then maybe i could just throw some new bushings in there and not be crazy and buy new leafs, shackles, bolts, bushings, and clamps. lol

I've been looking at 4+1 packs and torsion bars because my brains like "If you just put new ones in.... you'll never have to worry" When realistically, I'm sure the truck will crap out before any of those parts will

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
hmm. Okay cool. Then maybe i could just throw some new bushings in there and not be crazy and buy new leafs, shackles, bolts, bushings, and clamps. lol

I've been looking at 4+1 packs and torsion bars because my brains like "If you just put new ones in.... you'll never have to worry" When realistically, I'm sure the truck will crap out before any of those parts will
The urethane is an easy install. 2 piece design.
Check those U-bolts while you're in there, too.
The cupped design of that lower plate holds crud & moisture causing the U-bolts to rust away, down inside that cup out of direct sight.
A known 400 design flaw.

Check & see if the leaf spring center bolt hasn't suffered the same fate too, while you're in there.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The urethane is an easy install. 2 piece design.
Check those U-bolts while you're in there, too.
The cupped design of that lower plate holds crud & moisture causing the U-bolts to rust away, down inside that cup out of direct sight.
A known 400 design flaw.

Check & see if the leaf spring center bolt hasn't suffered the same fate too, while you're in there.
Ok. So. New shackles, bolts, and bushings at least lol

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score