Lazy Man's Frame Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPDMETL

Reaction score
Morning, Y'all! One of these days I need to decide what to do about the rotten frame on this guy...

If I could trouble those of you who have swapped out rusty or damaged frames for info and\or links, I would be grateful.

Has anyone swapped a 2011+ fully boxed frame under a GMT400?

How close is the 2500HD from 2001+ ?

I'm in awe of how this guy does his trucks https://www.plowsite.com/threads/16...zed-frame-fisher-xv2-and-hiway-sander.165214/

Mine is a 1999 K2500 RCLB with low miles and both blades-too good to part!

You must be registered for see images attach

SPDMETL

Reaction score
Some random pix...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped a 2011+ fully boxed frame under a GMT400?

How close is the 2500HD from 2001+ ?

I've never done a frame swao but I doubt it approaches anything close to easy. It would be far easier/better to get a southern GMT-400 frame.

Wow! I've wanted to do that, but up until know I've only seen Landrover guys do it, and on new firetrucks.

Mine is a 1999 K2500 RCLB

Your truck looks almost exactly like mine. My frame rust isn't quite that bad, but with the exception of mine being a 3500 Chevy, instead of being a 2500 GMC they're pretty much the same truck from the outside.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure on the fitment of the newer frame. Small difference can lead to major fitment issues and the need for fabrication.

If you have access to a lift, frame swaps go quickly. Approach it as unitized construction. Ie, Four leaf spring bolts, 4 driveshaft bolts, brake cables and lines, roll it out and roll it under the new, Same in the front, pull torsion bars, drop the steering box, diff , and control arms, and steering linkage in one piece and slide it under the new. Engine, trans , transfer case in one piece, etc.

They used to take me 12-14 hours to do one solo in a collision shop, but also had access to a forklift to move the engine/trans combo and move the frames around. They were also new then so wasn't combating rusted fasteners.