L31 head gasket job tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onspeed

Reaction score
No I didn't, engine isn't put back together yet, but I should have everything assembled by tomorrow.

I went back and tightened them as I was supposed to, and it seemed fine. Didn't noticed any collapsed lifter or anything... rockers had slight side to side play after setting them to zero lash + 1 turn on the closed valves.

onspeed

Reaction score
It took a while, but I finally got it done.

It started without issue, but is throwing a p1345 code. Unfortunately my HPTuners doesn't have the ability to read the right sensor to set the distributor (should have bought EFILive), so I'll have to take it to someone to get it done. Hopefully it's not too expensive, seems pretty simple to do it.

Also have a P0161 code. Going to switch the O2 sensors to see if it's a bad sensor or bad cat.

Otherwise, it runs fine. No hiccups or hesitations noticeable. Had some lifter ticking for a few minutes when I initially started the car, but once they got oil it went away.

Now to change diff/tranny/t-case fluids and get new tires + alignment. And lots of elbow grease on the interior. If anyone is doing a head gasket job soon and has questions, you're welcome to ask me.

onspeed

Reaction score
Thanks. All in all wasn't too bad, pretty much just take things off until you have the room to pull the heads.

Took a pic to help out those doing the same job or a intake gasket. These are the bolts you need to remove to move the power steering bracket. My lower two were caked in gunk and I couldn't actually see it without scraping off caked on power steering fluid. The very bottom one is slotted so you don't need to remove it completely. Once you got the other 4 off, just muscle it out.

You must be registered for see images attach