L31 EGR Tube Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My EGR tube is seized on the exhaust manifold side. It's the only thing keeping me from doing headers, Anyone have a trick that I can get it bust loose without snapping the tube.

Note, I'm keeping the egr temporarily as I'm making an egr delete kit. Once I'm done with that I'll go ahead and get it tuned out.

Thanks for the assistance.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat it with and acetylene torch until it glows, then let it cool down for a few minutes and hose it with penetrating oil. Good stuff like PB Blaster, Kroil, Loctite rust penetrant, etc. Let it cool completely, then give it a couple of sharp raps with a hammer on the side of the nut. Get a wrench of the proper size, not an adjustable, and give it a shot. No guarantees, but it works on heavily rusted tubes and bolts on heavy equipment.

If you don't have a torch, soak it in penetrating oil for several days and try it. Heat helps a lot. Be aware that if you are going to use a torch, that you should cover anything flammable or that carries something flammable (like brake and fuel lines) with something like an old towel soak in water, to prevent heat transfer. If you have doubts , don't do it.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try heating it and while its warm hit it with some PB Blaster.

Straight heat and PBB hasn't been successful. She's tight, really tight.

Like said, I'll hit it with PBB while its warm and give it a crack.

Thanks man.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, you may try putting the wrench on it and hitting the wrench. Four pound hand sledge works very well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got one hell of a ***** bar that works as well. 1.5" pipe. 5" long. Thickwall steel. My issue is, I cant fit it under the hood :D

But in all seriousness, I tried tapping with a haller and she wouldn't budge.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Just did mine a month or so ago when I did headers. Had to heat up with a torch and I used a crows foot on an extension with a breaker bar...and a lot of ass.